Ugly Partial Gel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueValkyrie

Reaction score
My ugliest bars yet - I still have a lot to learn :)

Apologies for the poor photo quality - the flash kept reflecting off the cut surfaces, and this is the clearest I could get.

This was supposed to be a pale greenish grey soap - the bar in the centre of the pic didn't gel, and approximately resembles what I had expected. That bar was a bit of leftover which I put in a small mold by itself. The rest was all together in a used milk carton - I put it in the fridge to try to prevent gel, but clearly should have put it in the freezer instead :lol:

GreenTeapartialgel007.jpg

Pretty amazing how you can see the larger circles from the centre of the mould, tapering out to almost nothing at the edges. Amazing if it wasn't so hideous that is :) This is just a hobby for me, so it doesn't really matter - still I would be embarrassed to even gift this....

The recipe was:

Olive Oil
Coconut oil
Avocado butter
Shea butter
Castor Oil

I used green tea (chilled) as the water, added one tbsp of bentonite clay ppo, and added a small amount (from one of those dropper caps, hard to measure) of peppermint eo.

I actually like the look. People will probably want to know how you made it!

Green tea will turn brown though, gelled or ungelled.

Thanks ladies :)

The brown doesn't bother me in itself - I knew that this was a distinct possibility - not so keen on the partial gelled look myself though - ever have that moment of disappointment when you cut into a new batch and realise that it's not what you had hoped at all?

If it stays like this, you could pass it off as a Halloween soap. The middle is the bone, middle muscles, etc, outside flesh. Just saying lol

tlm884 said:
If it stays like this, you could pass it off as a Halloween soap. The middle is the bone, middle muscles, etc, outside flesh. Just saying lol

lol :lol:

Unfortunately it has about another month of cure to go before I would consider giving it to anyone, so it may be next year's Halloween soap - unless you can come up with a creative christmas story for it... :)

Oh Yum! I want to eat it, it reminds me of toffee or caramel or fudge (can you tell i'm on a sugar craving rampage right now? lol I like it. :D

Has anyone tried putting these partially gelled soaps into a warm oven and re-gelling them? I'm pretty sure it's feasible. You could put it back into it's mould after cutting just one slice off to see partial gel. :wink:

Bubbles Galore said:
Has anyone tried putting these partially gelled soaps into a warm oven and re-gelling them? I'm pretty sure it's feasible. You could put it back into it's mould after cutting just one slice off to see partial gel. :wink:

I thought about that, but the mould was an old milk carton, which I tore off the soap, so I couldn't replace it in the mould. If it had been a loaf, I think I would have tried popping it in the oven for a bit.

Back