Uggggg. What happened? Pic

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezzy

Reaction score
Uggg... Help me figure out what I made a soap 2 days ago. Used my normal recipe and am like 99% sure that I measured everything correctly.

I unmolded the ungelled soap and cut it and it seemed fine. Even did a zap test and it was fine.

Today I went to check on the soap and it was sparkling like fresh snow and had white growths all over it. Did a zap test and got burned...

What could have caused this?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wow, i am sorry i dont know what happened, but what a pretty soap. :cry: it sucks that is has lye crystals popping out of it.

seems like lye solution sweated out then crystalized.

if you cut it in half and the cut surface is fine, try rinsing a bar well and letting it dry and then testing the outside again.

Thanks! Should I do that now while it is fresh or should I let it cure a little?

Similar thing happened to me once. I looked in «The Soap Maker Companion» (Susan Miller Cavitch's book) and it seems that it may have two causes: temperature too low when mixing lye and oils or insufficient stirring. In both case, the result is an incomplete saponification. In my case, I think it was the temperature. I made this batch at room temperature and it was a little cold this day.
A month later, I tested my soap and the pH was still very high. So, a made laundry with it.
I hope that I'm wrong and that you will save your soaps! They are very, very cute.

I washed one bar and cut it down the middle. It is fine... Thank god... Someone wanted the whole batch! Thanks once again carebear!

Romane said:
Similar thing happened to me once. I looked in «The Soap Maker Companion» (Susan Miller Cavitch's book) and it seems that it may have two causes: temperature too low when mixing lye and oils or insufficient stirring. In both case, the result is an incomplete saponification. In my case, I think it was the temperature. I made this batch at room temperature and it was a little cold this day.
A month later, I tested my soap and the pH was still very high. So, a made laundry with it.
I hope that I'm wrong and that you will save your soaps! They are very, very cute.
That's different - if your soap hasn't truly emulsified in the bowl then it separates in the mold and is unuseable unless you rebatch it.

Update:
I went away for 2 week and just checked my soap... It doesn't zap at all and When I was washed all the white stuff off... The soap is fine. Yay

Latest posts

Back