Trouble with Hot Throw in Soy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LotusFlowerSoap

Reaction score
I've recently been playing around with soy, using CB advanced wax. I'm using 6 oz travel-type tins and used a HTP 62 wick, as recommended by WSP for those containers.

I poured at different temps, just to see how it worked out. Some at 130, some at 120 and some when the mixture turned a bit slushy and looked like it was on its way to solidifying.

I used FO's that got great reviews for their throw, and did test burns at 2 hours, 24 hours and 48 hours post-pour and unless you're right on top of the candle you can't smell it at all. In one of them you can't smell it even then.

Any suggestions? They have a really strong cold throw, but nothing hot. I do think the wick may need to be a bit bigger, b/c they're not burning fully to the edge, maybe a 1/16th of an inch (guess here) around the whole tin.

In a tin, which gets really HOT, I'd not wick any bigger to tell the truth. The sides will probably melt when the candle is burned down toward the bottom.

I don't do pure soy so cannot speak to fixing it, but soy is notoriously difficult to get a good HT from. Is your FO well rated for Soy?

Thanks, Carebear. Yes, the FO's I've used got good reviews for their HT in soy, so I was thinking my culprit might be the wick. I did make one two days ago, and scented at about 1.2 oz ppw, so I'm going to do a test burn tonight on that one and see how it does.

Are HTP the way to go in soy, or should I move to something else?

Also, do you have a good rec for a site that sells FO's specifically for candles that I might have better luck with?

I might have just had an "AHA!" moment. When I melt my wax, I've only melted it until is was just liquid and hot enough to melt my color blocks. I just read somewhere that CB Advanced should be melted to 185 in order to allow the FO to full dissolve.

I've been adding my FO when the wax was below its flash point, so that it wouldn't just flash off. Could that be my problem? Should I add it hotter?

Back