Trace

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dindi

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a beginner in soap making this morning I have been trying to make my first batch. My recipe calls for 5 oz of water 2.2 oz of lye 11 oz olive oil 5 oz coconut oil 0,5 oz of castor oil I followed the procedure, but my batter is still not getting at trace. I left it for 5 min and when I came back I saw that the batter has split in two: the lower half is lighter and clearer than the upper half. I don't know what to do can someone help me

What are you using to mix it together? If you aren't using a stick blender, you will have to stir by hand for a very long time.

Dindi, something that high in OO will take a long time to trace. Recipes that are high in OO are among the ones where people will very often use less water just to speed trace. It is also going to take longer to cure enough for the lather from all the olive to feel nice (indeed, to some - like me - it never does :).

I might try a different recipe - something like 55% lard (or palm), 20% CO, 20 % OO, 5 % castor but with full water, that is a good basic recipe that traces fast enough but not too fast.

Your batter was just not fully emulsified. That is why it separated out again. High OO soaps will take a long time to get to trace, especially with full water and cool soaping temps. If you have a bit of hand made soap (0.5 oz/14 gm), you can grate it up in there to help speed trace.

You definitely need a stick blender if you are making that, though. Otherwise, sit down and get comfy, because you are going to be stirring for a long time.

Latest posts

Back