Trace question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shabaity

Reaction score
Before I ever start mixing for my soaps I want to understand what trace is supposed to look like. So the question is would a light trace look about the consitency of brown gravy and a medium trace about the consitency of white gravy?

You'll know you reached trace when you can draw a figure 8 in the batter and see the out line when your done. Even at a light trace as long as you have good lighting you'll still see it

But I strongly recommend that you get a better understanding of trace before you start room temperature soaping. When you room temp soap you can get something called false trace.

I fully intend to but I've discovered over the years that I have a hard time understanding what the consistency of something is supposed to be with out a frame of reference. Since I work in a restraunt the gravies we serve seem to be a natural starting point for that I know what white and brown gravy are supposed to look like so use that as a reference point.

Latest posts

Back