Toxicity of EO/FOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TeriDk

Reaction score
Jeez...I just got a shipment of EOs and one FO. All of the MSDS for these oils state they are toxic to aquatic critters. One of the main reasons I got into soap making was I thought it would be better for the environment. Have no plans to dump this stuff into any waterway directly but it got me thinking, does the minute amount of EO/FOs found in a bar of soap cause harm to our aquatic friends?

There was a discussion about this before. I believe it was found that soap itself is toxic to aquatic life if it were introduced in large amounts.

You don't want to put it in your aquarium but the waterways where your soapy water is going after your shower are larger by many orders of magnitude.

There was a discussion about this before. I believe it was found that soap itself is toxic to aquatic life if it were introduced in large amounts.

Really? Oh no. Is it safe to assume that a natural soap is less toxic than a commercial soap?

You don't want to put it in your aquarium but the waterways where your soapy water is going after your shower are larger by many orders of magnitude.

No plans to add soap to the aquarium. I was thinking oceans and the rivers that lead to them.

Latest posts

Back