totally confused

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godblessedme2

Reaction score
Hi, I am going to try to start a company selling bath bombs and other's beauty items but, I'm totally confused on what to use to color the bath bombs. I have researched the site and it seems people think different items work. I am looking for colors that will be bright and colorful and are okay to use in bath bombs ( and bath salts ) that I sell. I've read about using food color but read it's not okay with the FDA to use them and sell them. I've read about LaBomb Colorants but at almost $100 wow and, they seem to be very light colors. I want bright colors. I'm new to this so I don't know or understand all of the terms I read so , if you could help me when you replying with using real world words lol I would appreciate it! Down the road I will also make some soap but starting with bath bombs and bath salt's. I am also going to make eye shadow's. I want to do this the right way and totally don't want to stain someone's bath tub! I also found these color's http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Water-Soluble-Liquid-Colorants-c-275.html . Could someone please direct me in the right direction in what colors to buy that will make bright color's in bath bombs and bath salts.

Here is what we have bought so far as far as ingredients for the bath bombs.

Citric Acid
Kaolin Clay
Grape seed oil
Polysorbate 80
Witch Hazel
Borax

I still need to buy the oils , molds ( where to buy them??) and colors. With these items can I make bath bombs?

Hi, I am going to try to start a company selling bath bombs and other's beauty items but, I'm totally confused on what to use to color the bath bombs. I have researched the site and it seems people think different items work. I am looking for colors that will be bright and colorful and are okay to use in bath bombs ( and bath salts ) that I sell. I've read about using food color but read it's not okay with the FDA to use them and sell them. I've read about LaBomb Colorants but at almost $100 wow and, they seem to be very light colors. I want bright colors. I'm new to this so I don't know or understand all of the terms I read so , if you could help me when you replying with using real world words lol I would appreciate it! Down the road I will also make some soap but starting with bath bombs and bath salt's. I am also going to make eye shadow's. I want to do this the right way and totally don't want to stain someone's bath tub! I also found these color's http://www.elementsbathandbody.com/Water-Soluble-Liquid-Colorants-c-275.html . Could someone please direct me in the right direction in what colors to buy that will make bright color's in bath bombs and bath salts.

Citric Acid
Kaolin Clay
Grape seed oil
Polysorbate 80
Witch Hazel
Borax

I still need to buy the oils , molds ( where to buy them??) and colors. With these items can I make bath bombs?

some will come along and help you some , you have a long way to go be fore start selling, here's some reading material in the middle is from this site soap making forum.

just click on link:
http://www.google.com/custom?domains=www.soapmakingforum.com&q=bath+bombs&sa=Google+Search&sitesearch=www.soapmakingforum.com&client=pub-7919342714932531&forid=1&channel=3628851231&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&safe=active&cof=GALT%3A%23002E3F%3BGL%3A1%3BDIV%3A%236F3C1B%3BVLC%3A063E3F%3BAH%3Acenter%3BBGC%3AFFFFFF%3BLBGC%3AFFFFCC%3BALC%3A002E3F%3BLC%3A002E3F%3BT%3AB47B10%3BGFNT%3A063E3F%3BGIMP%3A063E3F%3BFORID%3A1&hl=en

good luck and enjoy

rob

Those colorants on the website are OK but you have to use the required usage amount due to staining. As far as oils, I get my oils from Soapers Choice and Bulk Apothecary.

I know I have a lot of reading to do and a long way to go but we are going to go head first lol! We have ordered over $300 in products already! I'm sick and due to being off and on Chemo and other treatments I can't work out side of the home and need a way to make income so we have decided to try this =) I am just confused on where to get the products especially colors and mods and how much to use.

Citric Acid
Kaolin Clay
Grape seed oil
Polysorbate 80
Witch Hazel
Borax

I'm assuming "bath bomb" always means a fizzie, so if I'm wrong please correct me...so you still need something to provide the gas. Unless you have some reason to use something else, that'd mean sodium bicarbonate.

Also I'd have to ask what the point of including borax is. Not that you can't make a fizzie with it in there, but borax is going to neutralize acid, so you'll need extra citric acid in there to react with the bicarbonate.

Last edited:
I'm assuming "bath bomb" always means a fizzie, so if I'm wrong please correct me...so you still need something to provide the gas. Unless you have some reason to use something else, that'd mean sodium bicarbonate.

Also I'd have to ask what the point of including borax is. Not that you can't make a fizzie with it in there, but borax is going to neutralize acid, so you'll need extra citric acid in there to react with the bicarbonate.
no reason except I am still learning and this was on many of the list of items that I would need. Yes, you are correct I want to make a fizzie! :)

I've used a meatball maker or a plastic ornament to make round fizzies. I've seen some make bombs using a silicon mold.
I would stay with the colors meant for bath bombs if you can and experiment with the amount of color. I made one the other day with a bunch of layers of colors...My daughter said she had a hard time removing the blue from her skin.
I also like the addition of some type of butter to my bath bombs. I have used cocoa butter and shea in the past.

I know I have a lot of reading to do and a long way to go but we are going to go head first lol! We have ordered over $300 in products already! I'm sick and due to being off and on Chemo and other treatments I can't work out side of the home and need a way to make income so we have decided to try this =) I am just confused on where to get the products especially colors and mods and how much to use.

I'm sorry to hear that. Good for you you're still trying to make the best out of it!
Please do keep in mind you'll need insurance before you start; even though bath fizzies seem pretty harmless...

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=37197

And you'll need to get familiar with cosmetic labeling requirements.

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/CosmeticLabelingLabelClaims/CosmeticLabelingManual/

I'm sorry to hear that. Good for you you're still trying to make the best out of it!
Please do keep in mind you'll need insurance before you start; even though bath fizzies seem pretty harmless...

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=37197

And you'll need to get familiar with cosmetic labeling requirements.

http://www.fda.gov/Cosmetics/CosmeticLabelingLabelClaims/CosmeticLabelingManual/

Thank you! I am not one to lay around crying pity me , so off I go on this adventure! I will look into insurance and labels!

I would recommend doing some experimental playing. To make a great bath fizzie start with with the basic chemical reaction. That is an acid + baking soda releases carbon dioxide which makes the fizz. Get some citric acid and baking soda, mix and throw in wate. Try different ratios of acid to baking soda. Try coarse citric acid compared to fine. Try mixing in some oils. Try your other additives one at a time. It won't take long and you'll gain so much understanding that will feed into your final product. Good luck!

I would stay with the colors meant for bath bombs if you can and experiment with the amount of color. I made one the other day with a bunch of layers of colors...My daughter said she had a hard time removing the blue from her skin.
Depending on her age, that could be a feature rather than a bug--so you could make sure she took her bath, and stayed in the water long enough for that layer to dissolve. ;-)

I wouldn't use boric acid in my bath fizzies. I would most certainly use baking soda, citric acid, and an oil. You can also use the polysorbate 80 and clays. I don't use witchhazel after a lot of trial and error. Nature's Garden also sells colorants that can be used in bath fizzies and other body products. They work well.

For colorants, I generally go with powdered oxides that I mix into the citric acid/sodium bicarb until it seems like it's probably about right. A lot of it is guessing, I think. I use witch hazel to hold them together. I do have a stainless steel bath bomb mold from Brambleberry, but I'm more prone to using silicone cupcake wrappers and making cupcakes out of them xD

Back