Top 2 Oils to Keep on Hand...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wyldwytch Studios said:
Then I will test each soap to see if I really think the palm oil is necessary. I'm not thinking it is...but my brain needs to have it proven that it doesn't really change much of anything...LOL

Rose

I haven't used palm oil in 6 years and love my soaps even more since changing the recipes :)

Seventeen Soaps said:
[quote="Wyldwytch Studios":11vq3z7f]
Then I will test each soap to see if I really think the palm oil is necessary. I'm not thinking it is...but my brain needs to have it proven that it doesn't really change much of anything...LOL

Rose

I haven't used palm oil in 6 years and love my soaps even more since changing the recipes :)[/quote:11vq3z7f]

Do you use more coconut oil to replace the palm or another oil? I would be more then happy to not use the palm as long as I know what is either being increased or used in place of?

What about PKO? Any thoughts...

Rose

I actually fiddled around on soap calc a while back to come up with a recipe that had the same fatty acid profile and lathering qualities of a soap with palm (20-25% of total recipe) vs. a recipe without palm. It can be done. It just costs more.

Sounds good Judy. I will have to play with soapcalc some more. Pretty much spent the weekend reading and dozing in front of the computer. I really didn't want to have to think about much since it was such a hectic week. Though that now means Ihave to squeeze in some time throughout the work week to get done with what needed to be done this weekend...LOL

Rose

Wyldwytch Studios said:
Sounds good Judy. I will have to play with soapcalc some more. Pretty much spent the weekend reading and dozing in front of the computer. I really didn't want to have to think about much since it was such a hectic week. Though that now means Ihave to squeeze in some time throughout the work week to get done with what needed to be done this weekend...LOL

Rose

Sounds like we are kindred spirits because describes my weekend exactly. I love researching new stuff! And I fall asleep at the computer a lot! Hehe!

P.S. i'm currently experimenting with using lard instead of palm. I personally find the 'idea' of lard based soap to be ickie. But I can't argue with blind test results. My testers LOVE it. And when I tell them later what was in it, they don't seem to mind. I also make a vegan recipe with a high CO amount. But my testers with sensitive skin prefer the lard recipe.

I need to find out if there is a more pleasant (but still honest) way to list it on the label instead of using the word "lard".

Wyldwytch Studios said:
Do you use more coconut oil to replace the palm or another oil? I would be more then happy to not use the palm as long as I know what is either being increased or used in place of?

Rose

I use slightly more coconut and a higher olive percentage too. I don't mind the extra costs when you get outstanding results ;)

Seventeen Soaps said:
[quote="Wyldwytch Studios":172vbybj]

Rose

I use slightly more coconut and a higher olive percentage too. I don't mind the extra costs when you get outstanding results ;)[/quote:172vbybj]

Thanks 17, that's what I was thinking myself. Perhaps upping the CO adding some castor to offset the drying qualities of the Co, also upping the OO. I really do want to come up with 2 maybe 3 go to basic recipes that work.

So far I know one will contain castor, another will contain a butter of some sort (cocoa or shea), and the other I think is going to contain lard. Those are the 3 that I will play around with and nix the palm oil off completely.

I really have to say thank you again to everyone for helping me to shut my brain up about this matter and finally make a decision as to what 3 types of basic soaps I will make. Now I can start with those and tweak where necessary and then start with adding different additives...ie: salts, clays, scrubby type things..LOL

See everyone tomorrow night..:)

Rose

zeoplum said:
Wyldwytch Studios said:

Rose

Sounds like we are kindred spirits because describes my weekend exactly. I love researching new stuff! And I fall asleep at the computer a lot! Hehe!

Ah yes, we all need a weekend to just vegetate every once in awhile, though I have been doing it too often lately since my fibromyalgia has been kicking my butt with the weather changing here.

I am going to nix the palm oil completely and do a lard bar as well as to other basic recipes.

Rose

I always have OO,CO,PO,Castor, Lard,Cocoa Butter, Shea Butter and RBO. Sometimes if i'm thinking to make really nice bars for myself or family & friends I get better oils & butters.

So far, my absolute favorite has been Lard, Coconut, Palm with 15% OO and 10% castor. So I suspect Lard, CO and some form of Palm Oil will stay in my stash. I also need to try a recipe WITHOUT castor so I can compare :lol:

Yep, olive and coconut. Either alone makes a good soap (superfat the coconut 20%), and you can make a 75%-ish olive 25%-ish bastille that's very nice.

Both can also be used in balm formulations!

Coconut oil for certain. I guess if you pinned me against a wall and said only one other, I might pick OO, but it would be a hard choice over tallow.

I make primarily a tallow, OO, CO, castor recipe. Sometimes I will sub out and use palm instead of tallow. If you are doing some experimentation and having testers try things out, trying a tallow head-to-head with a lard soap would be interesting. I would love to hear if people felt one was superior to the other. Tallow is less expensive than lard and makes a hard white bar, same as lard.

Have other people felt one is significantly different from the other?

Last edited:
I would have to agree with Cator Oil. Also, I get nervous when I'm running low on hempseed oil, as the places I purchase from are quite often out of stock. In fact I'm waiting now to place an order, and have been forced to purchase hemp seed at the local health market, which is way overpriced.

Latest posts

Back