to gell, or not to gel-that is the question!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heartsong

Reaction score
i'd like to share my observations on gel/no gel in different applications, including standard c/p, rtcp (room temp) and rtcp whipped soaps.

i'd appreciate anyone to share their views as well! :D

this just seems to be a learn as you go process!

for reference i make 5 pounds logs 18" and i have both hdpe and wooden molds.

9 times out of 10 when i do 90-115 degree c/p i will achieve a full gel with no problem using my wooden molds or by prewarming and insulating my hdpe molds with a towel.

rtcp-whipped soaps-i really cannot tell the difference between gel/no gel in color or even fragrance. i start off with chilled lye and oils (premelted the night before) i have poured them usually in the wooden molds, they heat up a bit and i can cut them usually with 24 hrs.

if i pour them in my hdpe molds and cover with a towel., i notice that they are ever so slightly warm for about 36-48 hrs. the drawback that i have found that it takes usually 2-3 weeks for it to harden enough to slice cleanly. if i pour them into molds warmed in the oven on lowest temp (warm) then stick them back in the warmed oven WITH THE OVEN SHUT OFF! and left overnight i can achieve gel too.

to me, the biggest difference in gel/no gel is in plain rtcp soap. (kitn has pics of a batch side by side of this.) no gel doesn't beat up fragrances as bad and imho it gives you more time to work with f/o's that like to sieze or play games. and time to color and swirl, etc.
the colors seem to stay brighter and the soap stays lighter in color.

i still have to wait longer to cut the soap, even soaping @ 33%, but it's worth the extra patience.

i have not noticed any difference in the hardness or lasting going gel or no gel.

looking back, i believe i enjoy and get best results with my rtcp WHIPPED soaps and full gell. to compensate for the air whipped in them, i cut them thicker so that a whipped bar and a standard bar is the same weight and they seem to last about as long as regular c/p.

anyone like to share their thoughts on this? :D

heartsong said:
i have not noticed any difference in the hardness or lasting going gel or no gel.

That's the bottom line I was wondering about.

In all the batches I made, when gel happened, FO had a tendency to leak out -- sometimes it was reabsorbed, sometimes not all of it, and sometimes unevenly. I didn't like to see gel in my soap. I agree with the bottom line though. I never noticed differences in the aged bar between gel and no-gel. I always made 1-lb batches though, so gelling was less and issue, but an issue none-the-less.

When I made large batches and poured into a large mold....lots of gelling...almost always gelled.

I no gel. I usually unmold after 12 hours and cut shortly thereafter, usually right after unmolding. I just let three batches gel the other day "just because", and I am really irked at myself. I soap GM, RTCP, and stick my soap in the freezer after pour.

To me, the soap is more consistent with no gel, cleaner, nicer colors, etc.

Latest posts

Back