To gel or not to gel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debby

Reaction score
I’ve finally got a few soap batches unfortunately only a couple have fully gelled. I’ve read in the forums that some like a gel some don’t. I’ve decided that I wouldn’t mind either but I really don’t like this ‘partial’ gel that I am frequently getting! I use a silicone mould in a wooden loaf, I’ve now put polystyrene underneath and a folded towel in top - maybe I need polystyrene on top too? Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 7
I have silicone in wood, too. I place mine in a pre-warmed 110F/43C oven (immediately turned off once it reaches 110F/43C), covered with it's lid and cover over that with a few cotton diapers, and I get full gel every time. I should mention that I also soap warm, between 110F/43C to 120F/48C and use a 33% lye concentration, which figures into the equation.

IrishLass :)

I’ve finally got a few soap batches unfortunately only a couple have fully gelled. I’ve read in the forums that some like a gel some don’t. I’ve decided that I wouldn’t mind either but I really don’t like this ‘partial’ gel that I am frequently getting! I use a silicone mould in a wooden loaf, I’ve now put polystyrene underneath and a folded towel in top - maybe I need polystyrene on top too? Thanks
You may be able to fix your partial gel by popping it back in a slightly warmed oven and watching it carefully for full gel. Search the forum for "fix partial gel" and you will find a few threads. ;)

I have silicone in wood, too. I place mine in a pre-warmed 110F/43C oven (immediately turned off once it reaches 110F/43C), covered with it's lid and cover over that with a few cotton diapers, and I get full gel every time. I should mention that I also soap warm, between 110F/43C to 120F/48C and use a 33% lye concentration, which figures into the equation.

Thank you I will try this 😊

Thankyou that’s s great help 😊

Personally I like ungelled soap and think it holds the essential oil aromas longer. However I've got to say I find it so hard to get it right. I have soaped at cooler temps and then put in fridge or freezer and have then ended up with bad soda ash or partial gel. It was so frustrating and expensive when the soaps don't turn out very nice. Perhaps one in five ended up a nice pastel ungelled colour. After so many going wrong I gave up and moved over to gelling soaps and use the CPOP method now (as above of putting in a warmed up but turned off oven, wrapped well) The soaps look 100% nicer and are a nice texture - but it does seem to take away some of the essential oil aroma - I think fragrances do better than essential oils.

Yes, I’m definitely going to try on my next batch! Really fed up with this circle in the middle of the soap bars!
Pleased to know you’ve resolved the problem. Has any of your loaves cracked at all?

I use a heating pad with a cardboard box over the top of the mold and dish towels on top of that for insulation. It always gels but I do keep checking on it to make sure it doesn’t overheat And turn it off once I see it is hot enough and gelling which is usually an couple hours. Just another option when your oven is busy.

Thanks! All these temperatures to watch 😂 oils, lye and now the oven! I’ll get there... 😂

Latest posts

Back