Fragrance with or with out gel faze

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I made a nice banana soap and I had a little extra when I was done pouring out my soap batter so I saved it. Then I put my soap in the oven to gel faze, well the soap I saved that didn't go through the gel faze smelled really nice and fresh like real bananas then I smelled my loaf that did go through the gel faze and it smelt different still good but more like a banana perfume. My question is do alot of fragrances do this when going though gel faze does the sent change abit. Or do only some do this cause if this is the case then I might not want to gel faze all the time I kind of like the banana fragrance better that didn't gell faze.

I have noticed that using heat to force gel phase can definitely affect some FOs. Usually it just diminishes the strength of the scent, but occasionally it actually changes the smell, as you noted. You could try it again at a lower temp or for less time, and see if that works better for this FO.

Meanwhile, for this batch of soap, the scent might come back with time, or when you actually use the soap - both of those are known to happen with FOs, whether the soap is gelled or not. I hope you will let us know in a few weeks how it has turned out! :)

I have noticed that using heat to force gel phase can definitely affect some FOs. Usually it just diminishes the strength of the scent, but occasionally it actually changes the smell, as you noted. You could try it again at a lower temp or for less time, and see if that works better for this FO.

Meanwhile, for this batch of soap, the scent might come back with time, or when you actually use the soap - both of those are known to happen with FOs, whether the soap is gelled or not. I hope you will let us know in a few weeks how it has turned out! :)
Oh thank you I sure will the yellow mica I used is kind of turning a greeny yellow caramel kind colour I might try a pigment next time I will keep you posted.
20221029_131009.jpg

Oh thank you I sure will the yellow mica I used is kind of turning a greeny yellow caramel kind colour I might try a pigment next time I will keep you posted.View attachment 69333
I will post a before photo from a few days ago the yellow was nice. If any one has a suggestion of a yellow colour that works good please let me know where to buy it.
20221027_222307.jpg

Banana FOs often discolor to brown. Can you check the fragrance reviews to see what they say about this one?
Shoot that's to bad about banana FO turning brown I kinda had a dream of making a nice yellow banana soap well I not giving up yet lol. Maybe I can change the colour to something else.

Banana FOs often discolor to brown. Can you check the fragrance reviews to see what they say about this one?
Sure!

Soap is beautiful. It fascinates me how colors change over time.
Also, cute baby kitty! 🌸
I saved her from the cold a litter of kitty's were found all alone undersome ones car so I took her in she is so sweet.

I checked reviews people love the smell but say it loses its smell after a couple months in cp soap. Someone else said it's good in MP soap making that it doesn't discolor. So I'm a little bummed out I should have checked the reviews before I bought it. But it smells so good lol.

Colorants can morph which is why it is always a good idea to test them. The first time I use Lemon Sherbet by Rustic Essentials I cried because the colorant turned orange. It later turned back to a lovely light yellow, but I was pretty devastated for awhile thinking I was going to have 10 bars of an orange soap that smelled like lemons. I have sense gone with just a standard Yellow Mica from BrambleBerry.

And colorants can morph because of your scent...something that I experienced this past week. I had a brown mica and a lavender mica turn 'grey' on me.

Even in mp most banana fo's will discolor but the fragrance will hold.
That's interesting I might try MP soap one day lol if I have to to get the banana soap. Lol right now I want to concentrate on my cp soaping haha. My Son's wanted Banana soap for christmas but I might give up on this sent for now and try another.

So I checked My Banana soap today and the smell isn't very nice any more. When I bought the fragrance it did say for cp soap but when I checked the reviews they weren't the greatest reviews for what was there. They said not good for cp soap. My sons want banana soap for Christmas but I think I might give up on this scent right now lol. I'm going to move on to my next Christmas batch. I do have another banana scent from another company it's Banana cream pie but it will definitely turn brown because there is vanilla in it. So I will try that one later.

Bummer, I'm sorry to hear that. As @cmzaha mentioned, most banana FOs do turn brown, even without vanillin in them. There are some threads here about using vanilla color stabilizer, whether store-bought or homemade. The person who developed the homemade recipe, @Todd Ziegler, specifically used it with a banana FO, and it was successful at staving off the color change.

Bummer, I'm sorry to hear that. As @cmzaha mentioned, most banana FOs do turn brown, even without vanillin in them. There are some threads here about using vanilla color stabilizer, whether store-bought or homemade. The person who developed the homemade recipe, @Todd Ziegler, specifically used it with a banana FO, and it was successful at staving off the color change.
I like that idea I might try that to I bought some vanilla stabilizer but I haven't used it yet because it said on line that vanilla stabilizer only works for MP soap. So I will be happy if it can help in CP soap making.

Colorants can morph which is why it is always a good idea to test them. The first time I use Lemon Sherbet by Rustic Essentials I cried because the colorant turned orange. It later turned back to a lovely light yellow, but I was pretty devastated for awhile thinking I was going to have 10 bars of an orange soap that smelled like lemons. I have sense gone with just a standard Yellow Mica from BrambleBerry.

And colorants can morph because of your scent...something that I experienced this past week. I had a brown mica and a lavender mica turn 'grey' on me.
I live in 🇨🇦 Canada but I have been wanting to order stuff from brambleberry it just might be a bit more expensive for me.

I like that idea I might try that to I bought some vanilla stabilizer but I haven't used it yet because it said on line that vanilla stabilizer only works for MP soap. So I will be happy if it can help in CP soap making.
I'd encourage you to use the Search function at the top of this page, and type in vanilla color stabilizer. There are some very helpful threads about the different types, and why some work only in M&P, while others work in CP and HP. There are also a few fun threads on how to make your own if you want to do that.

I'd encourage you to use the Search function at the top of this page, and type in vanilla color stabilizer. There are some very helpful threads about the different types, and why some work only in M&P, while others work in CP and HP. There are also a few fun threads on how to make your own if you want to do that.
I will definitely look up that info also I just noticed that my vanilla stabilizer is for cp soap making I will look up how to use it a little later.

That's interesting I might try MP soap one day lol if I have to to get the banana soap. Lol right now I want to concentrate on my cp soaping haha. My Son's wanted Banana soap for christmas but I might give up on this sent for now and try another.

So I checked My Banana soap today and the smell isn't very nice any more. When I bought the fragrance it did say for cp soap but when I checked the reviews they weren't the greatest reviews for what was there. They said not good for cp soap. My sons want banana soap for Christmas but I think I might give up on this scent right now lol. I'm going to move on to my next Christmas batch. I do have another banana scent from another company it's Banana cream pie but it will definitely turn brown because there is vanilla in it. So I will try that one later.
So today I checked on my banana soap and it smells pretty good again so weird. I think the gel faze made the smell unpleasant for awhile.

Top tip: Always read reviews before buying a new FO. Once you've been doing this for a while longer you'll feel more confident in using unreviewed products because you will have a better idea of what to do when things go awry. But for now - go with tried and true, and if you don't like the sound of what an FO does in the review - try getting it somewhere else that has good reviews..

Latest posts

Back