Titanium dioxide

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

souljasam

Reaction score
Is there any difference between the titanium dioxides for water and oil besides obviously what you use them in? Is there a benefit to using one over the other? The price difference is pretty significant so if the one for water is just as good as the oil one I'm gonna do that.

Also is there a good alternative to titanium dioxide to get white soap? Because I know titanium dioxide can sometime cause issues and would like to reduce my risks.

Last edited:
I bought the water version because i thought itwould be easier to just reserve a couple oz. From my full water amount. I have not used the oil version but the water one is great. As soon as it hits the water it dissolves on its own.

To get white without titanium dioxide you can use oils known to give a white bar of soap. Such as coconut, tallow, and i believe olive oil can also give a white bar. There may be others as well that im not sure of. Adding white clay helps. Not using FOs with vanillin in it. Those are all i can think of right now. Hope it helped. :)

Any specific clays you would recommend? I think kaolin clay is one ive heard of i just didnt know if it came in white. Do the clays have any issues? Do they add any benefit besides color?

I much prefer the water soluble TD. It mixes better, I don't get flecks and clumps like I did with the oil one and with the oil soluble one, you have to let it sit for some time in the oil to get the proper smoothness. If I didn't prepare well- ahead, you end up with the flecks. The water one is much less of a pain.

Any specific clays you would recommend? I think kaolin clay is one ive heard of i just didnt know if it came in white. Do the clays have any issues? Do they add any benefit besides color?

Kaolin is what I like to use. They say adding clay gives the soap "slip". I've never made soap without clay so I can't compare personally. You could also use other clay such as bentonite with similar results. :)

Hmm. Idk how much slipperier my soap can get lol. Tried a bar today and i almost dropped it. But i think ill look into clays since thwy seem to be cheaper anyways. And i googled the downsides of td for a bit but disnt really find anything, but i swear i read that td can lead to cracks and stuff right?

Hmm. Idk how much slipperier my soap can get lol. Tried a bar today and i almost dropped it. But i think ill look into clays since thwy seem to be cheaper anyways. And i googled the downsides of td for a bit but disnt really find anything, but i swear i read that td can lead to cracks and stuff right?

Sometimes when you gel your soap they TD will cause it to look a little funky. People will refer to them as "rivers" in the soap. It's still good soap, it just looks a little weird, sometimes it can look pretty cool actually. If you don't gel your soap then this shouldn't be a problem at all for you. :)

Hmmm i like to gel my soap. So im going to assume the clay would be a safer bet?

Hmmm i like to gel my soap. So im going to assume the clay would be a safer bet?

Yes. Safer, but it probably won't get the soap as white as TD unless you skip the oils that naturally color the soap darker, and/or skip FOs with vanillin in it.

I've gotten a snow white soap before with just clay, but it was because I did the other two things as well. Otherwise I just get a creamy off-white color.

TD will give you a snow white color even if you use darker oils, and if you're using a fragrance with vanillin in it you may need to add more TD to your batter to get it to stay as white as possible.

The TD rivers don't happen every time though. I'm not sure what can cause them exactly. If it's overheating, if it's the recipes, etc. You might experiment one small batch break it in half and color one side with TD and one side with clay and layer them on top of each other. See how you like them and see how they work for your recipe. :)

Hmmm that sounds like a good idea that i will deff try. And the only "dark" oil i use is olive oil at about 40-50% would that make the clay not white? My unclored soap with this recipe is a light tan.

Hmmm that sounds like a good idea that i will deff try. And the only "dark" oil i use is olive oil at about 40-50% would that make the clay not white? My unclored soap with this recipe is a light tan.

I believe olive oil can make anywhere from white to yellow soap. Depending on recipe and type of olive oil. Im not too familiar with the different kinds so Im not much help there. It shouldnt make much differnece for the clay though. Let us know how you like it whenever you try it! :)

Ill be ordering my oils and colorants tomorrow. Should get em in like a week! So excited.

I get a white creamy looking soap with goat milk powder and not gelling. Love how it looks.

I get a white creamy looking soap with goat milk powder and not gelling. Love how it looks.

When do you add your goat milk? and what oils do you use? I'd like to avoid or minimize the amount of td.

I use the water td. I just mix it in a small squirt bottle with distilled, add so liquid germall plus, store it in the fridge until use. Then add at very light trace to desired white. It doesn't take a lot.

As far as white clay coloring, I don't think you will get white. Maybe a tan or beige. I do like the lovely rose/mauve color that rose/pink kaolin gives, it is also nice on the skin, not drying.

Latest posts

Back