Titanium Dioxide and Clays

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyBayou

Reaction score
I apologize if this question has been asked and answered. Ive only recently began using Titanium Dioxide. Ive been using clays in my soap from the very begining.

I understand that I can always layer soap, however, I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the results of combining Titanium Dioxide and perhaps Green Clay (or any number of other clays)? Certainly , I wouldnt expect the titanium to maintain a pure white color. Correct? Would there be any reason why I shouldn't add other ingredients to soap that I also plan to add titanium to?

The TD will whiten your soap and also provide a bit of sunscreen... until you wash it off. :)

You can combine it with clays or other colorants... just know it's going to lighten them and make them more opaque.

I figured it would cause it to be lighter but I wasnt certain if the titanium would be able to take raw soap with clay in it to bright white or if color evidence of the clay would remain.

Thank you.

The TD will lighten the color of the clay instead of helping to whiten the soap, unless you used kaolin clay, that is. (at least that has been my experience).

IrishLass :)

I play "balance the color" all the time. Iron oxide (black) and titanium dioxide (white) are both great for that.

The titanium dioxide will increase the opacity of the soap and render the color more of a pastel than otherwise. It's great if you need to cancel a yellow tone in the soap but still want some color.

Iron oxide also increases soap opacity, covers the yellow, and darkens the soap. I particularly like this with reds and blues to make a darker color without causing nasty-colored lather.

In either case, you'll need to use a bit more colorant than otherwise if you want a decently saturated hue.

Latest posts

Back