Tips and tricks, post yours?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Taking notes is the best tip I picked up when I started soaping.

I LOVE going back to a recipe that I haven't made in awhile and finding all my notes. Even down to the slightest detail. It makes soaping that recipe again so simple! I print out my recipes(if its a new one) from the soap calculator I am using and make a photo copy. Then I use one of the pages to take my notes and keep one as an extra, clean copy. I keep that copy of the actual soaping session with the soap as it cures. Then there is no guessing as to what recipe, or what process there was. If I want to reuse a basic recipe that I have formulated in the past, I just get one of my clean copies and write in the name of the soap I am going to make it into then take notes as usual. I know not everyone has a copy machine at home, but I am glad my husband likes having gadgets!

I print out my recipe (from Soap Calc). Check off as I measure out the ingredients, put batch #, Name of F/O or E/O and date and time made. I add notes for color and additives. After I'm finished my batch of soap, I sit at the computer and enter that batch in a Soap Journal, what recipe it was, any changes and anything that might have gone differently, what methods or swirls I used, how many bars I get out of the batch. I, also, have a excel sheet with date, batch #, name of soap, recipe name, cost, how many bars made and when the batch should be cured. I enter it into SoapMaker 3 and print the recipe out and put that and the soapcalc recipe into a binder for the year. A lot of paper work, but I can tell what I did and what happened to most batches. I use a lined post it for Batch #, Batch Name, date, what recipe and how many bars, this post it goes in the basket as it cures then onto the front of the cardboard box I store the batch in once I shrink wrap and label the soaps. Hope this helps, it's not up to par with GMP yet, but it is a start.

My tips are related to the big clean-up .....Before putting any soaping equipment into the dishwasher or washing it by hand, I wipe off as much soap as possible with kitchen paper. I'd much rather splash out on the paper than block the plumbing with soap build-up! Or have foam pouring out of the dishwasher - which I've recently read about.
And my second tip is that I keep a spray bottle of vinegar/acetic acid on hand for any soaping accidents, and use a quick vinegar spray on my surfaces after wiping down - just in case. (I soap in my kitchen, so don't want to leave traces of lye or uncured soap around.)

since I tend to make so many different batches, I label all of them while curing with sticky notes. I include what's in them and what EOs, colorants, etc, I used and stick the note right in front of the soap...makes label making easier when I package them.

I keep track of my batches in Evernote. That way if I want to print off labels while I'm at work (shh), I can look up what ingredients I used for that batch via the Evernote website.

My tips are related to the big clean-up .....Before putting any soaping equipment into the dishwasher or washing it by hand, I wipe off as much soap as possible with kitchen paper. I'd much rather splash out on the paper than block the plumbing with soap build-up! Or have foam pouring out of the dishwasher - which I've recently read about.

I soak my soapmaking stuff in hot water in the sink for 10 minutes or so before putting it all in the dishwasher. It usually works (except for the times that I get impatient b/c I want to do a new batch and then we get foam from washer)

Thanks for all the tips! I'm new to soap making ( still yet to make some, almost ready!) and the more I know before my first batch the better off I'm sure to be. Keep them coming.

Sent from my iPad using Soap Making

Great tips you guys, keep 'em coming!
Here's another thing I recently discovered, those thicker blue paper towels, they sell them in the automotive section, work really well. Much thicker than regular paper towels!

Great tip, Bayougirl...I'm gonna label the weight of all the stuff I measure in first thing tomorrow! I have a Brother label maker as well, and I print out my name for each batch and tape it to curing rack beside the soap. When the soap is cured, I just take it off and put it on the Sterlite box.
I print out all my recipes from SoapCalc and keep them beside me in those plastic sleeves...makes life easier when I spill stuff :) After soaping, I take the page out for that recipe and add my notes (date, name of batch, FO/EO used, additives, temps, etc.) and put it back in my soaping binder.

You have reminded me I too have brother's label maker and I really should get it out!:thumbup:

My tips are related to the big clean-up .....Before putting any soaping equipment into the dishwasher or washing it by hand, I wipe off as much soap as possible with kitchen paper.

I use ripped up t-shirts - tip from the Essential Soapmaking book. Throw them in a bucket and in a few days they are saponified enough to toss in the wash and give the laundry and extra boost.

Actually, I use the ripped up shirts for another purpose: greasing my cast iron skillet. It's a perfectly harmonious relationship - soapy rags help clean the bacon grease soaked ones!

Great tip, Bayougirl...I'm gonna label the weight of all the stuff I measure in first thing tomorrow! I have a Brother label maker as well, and I print out my name for each batch and tape it to curing rack beside the soap. When the soap is cured, I just take it off and put it on the Sterlite box.
I print out all my recipes from SoapCalc and keep them beside me in those plastic sleeves...makes life easier when I spill stuff :) After soaping, I take the page out for that recipe and add my notes (date, name of batch, FO/EO used, additives, temps, etc.) and put it back in my soaping binder.

Do you have any issues storing them in plastic boxes? I tend to store mine in shoeboxes because with some batches, I get a little moisture when I store them in plastic (the longer to cure batches that I usually only pack up when I need the space)

I make ice cubes with distilled water and keep them in the freezer. When I soap and don't want to wait for my lye solution to cool I use about 50/50 distilled water and distilled water ice cubes. Then I add my lye and the temp goes down to about 115 F to 120 F right away. Speeds things along when I don't have a lot of time on my hands. I guess I could use bigger ice to water ratio to lower the temp even faster, but 50/50 works well for me.

I mix my lye and water and put the pitcher in an ice bath to cool it down quickly. If I do this first, by the time I melt my oils and get everything else out and ready to use, the lye and water are usually cooled down enough to use.

In the evening, when I'm done soaping, I plan out the next batches and prepare the lye solutions. Then they're cool and waiting for me when I'm ready to soap the next evening. I make sure I have tight lids on them before I retire, to prevent an accidental spill should they get knocked over. I never tighten down the lids right away, fearing that one will overheat and blow off (dunno if that actually would happen, but I'm scared anyway).

When measuring out ingredients for multiple batches, I too line everything up in the order I'm going to use them, and put them back when finished. Otherwise I know I'll get distracted and forget an ingredient. I have everything ready, prepped and pre-measured before I start batches.

I use a potato masher to 'de-lumpify' HP batches, it works wonders in getting soap to look more smooth, almost as smooth as CP if I'm lucky.

I use lots of cheap utensils from the dollar store or thrift shop and toss them when they get too cruddy. And dedicated soaping utensil and containers, of course, I never, ever use stuff for food that I've used for soap.

I measure and weigh out the solid oils for about 20 batches. I get everything ready to go for all the batches I am making, I make up the lye water and I add the soft oils before I start making the soap. I add the FO to the oils and wash the dishes as I go. ( I have to haul water our basement isn't finished yet so I try to save steps wherever i can).

Do you have any issues storing them in plastic boxes? I tend to store mine in shoeboxes because with some batches, I get a little moisture when I store them in plastic (the longer to cure batches that I usually only pack up when I need the space)

No issues with moisture so far :)
I've been doing this for the past couple of years. I leave them on the curing rack for a minimum of 8 weeks before I transfer them to the plastic boxes. I don't make castille, but I do leave my salt soaps on the curing rack about a month longer.

When you're done pouring your soap, swirling and texturing your soap. Go with a skewer around the edges. It gives a 'cleaner' look to the soap and you don't have those sticking out parts you particularly see when you cut your soap.

I came up with a new tip today. After I took my soap out of the mold, I lined it for next time. So now, when I'm ready to make soap, my mold is ready, too. I even went ahead and lined my other molds, too.

I've been using an old cookie sheet at my soaping station to put dirty dishes on..makes clean up much easier because I can just bring my batch of dirty dishes to the kitchen wihtout making 2-3 trips. Plus, it keeps things more organized as I'm going along

I never clean utensils and containers right away.
When I'm done with soaping I put everything in a large container and leave it until next day. The next day I put everything in my bath and pour some hot water in it. When I'm done with cutting the soap, my utensils are ready to clean. No mess, no oils, just soap in containers :)

Latest posts

Back