This is not soap - syndet bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I came across this advert on Facebook and had to check it out for this product. Seems like the ultimate syndet bar they got going here for $26.

A proprietary and moisturizing blend of sodium cocoyl isethionate (derived from coconut oil), stearic acid (from cocoa butter and shea butter), coconut acid, water/aqua/eau, coco glucoside, argania spinosa (argan) kernel oil, panthenol (pro-vitamin b5), camellia sinensis (green tea) leaf extract, green tea essential oil, citrus aurantium (neroli) essential oil, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) essential oil, sucrose cocoate, aloe vera, glycerin, sodium PCA, parfum (fragrance blend with natural and essential oils)

https://100senses.com/products/the-...urce=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=tof

It sounds nice but the price is ridiculous. Idk, maybe the milling process is tedious or something.
I’ve watched milling in a major soap factory and it doesn’t seem so hard to me. I agree with @Cellador that they are trying to disparage soap for their superior bar which they don’t say at all is a synthetic detergent. And playing in people’s fears about sodium hydroxide because many times they mention this is not a saponified product.

Ow how do I get people to pay $26 a bar!

Report back!
I will! Got it today, will try it tomorrow morning. Have to say, they definitely have a specific audience in mind, and are quite good at targeting it. Minimalist packaging, no plastic whatsoever, the "minimalistically luxurious and you pay 3x for it" kind, and they tell you many times on the packaging that by this bar you are simplifying your life while making it better. [ Yeah, I can relate to that. I'm also in quest for the "all-in-one bar". ]

As far as I can tell it looks and feels like a milled syndet bar; hard as a rock and smells quite good. Will report back how it works.

All right. So, after the first use: I have to say, it is a nice bar. A lot of lather -- fluffy and bubbly, but also creamy, if that makes sense. Kind of like shampoo from when I was growing up and always used too much of it just for the lather :).
I used it both as a body bar and as shampoo, and thought it felt quite nice. When I rinsed my hair, I got a bit of a squeeky feel, but it doesn't feel dry now. I did not use a conditioner, and I could comb through my wet hair, which is usually not the case when I use my own syndet shampoo bar (or a standard shampoo) without conditioner.
It did leave my skin feeling a bit dry; not super dry, but I would say drier than my regular soap does.

Overall judgment: it really is quite nice. Not sure it's worth $26, but if I could figure out how to make it, I definitely would. It is a large bar -- much larger than my regular soap, to the point that it feels kind of like a brick and I was thinking of cutting it in half. So hopefully it will last a long time.

Thanks for the review. I like that you didn't need conditioner. I can't use it much anymore and a shampoo that does matt hair is great.
I'll have to eventually give it a try as I would really like to switch to syndet bar shampoo.

What scent did you get? I'm curious about the green tea but am afraid it'll smell like hay.

Thanks for the review. I like that you didn't need conditioner. I can't use it much anymore and a shampoo that does matt hair is great.
I'll have to eventually give it a try as I would really like to switch to syndet bar shampoo.

What scent did you get? I'm curious about the green tea but am afraid it'll smell like hay.
I got the green tea. It is quite pleasant; probably does have some hay-ish undertones, but I would not have thought of it if you had not mentioned (I literally went back to the bathroom right now to smell it again). I would not call it a "fresh" scent (too much sweetness going on for me for it to be fresh), but it is quite neutral overall, and not over-powering.
I was debating between this and the lavender-sage (I know many here don't like lavender but I do); I'll probably try that one next. (But hopefully not for a long time, since this bar is supposed to last forever :) )

Doesn't sound like too bad a scent. I'll probably go with the citrus, I almost always like it.
I'm not a huge fan of lavender either, unless its the fresh cut flowers.

Since this is such a big bar and milled, the price does actually seem ok. Most syndet bars on etsy are well over $12.

Thank you, @atiz! I greatly appreciate your review! I wish there were trial bars of it!

Was it worth it?

I like to support other soap makers, especially when I’m traveling. I buy soap as my souvenirs. This summer I bought a bar in Massachusetts which was amazing! It was so amazing ($10) that my 8 year old loved it so much to make his own bubble bath with it. That bar did not last long :(

there were some bars I’ve paid for and they were okay. I’m definitely leery of a $26 bar lol so I wanted some opinions.

Latest posts

Back