Input on soft Syndet please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hammer

Reaction score
After 3 days this Syndet Bar is still very very soft please advise. I would like to keep the ingredients the same but adjust whatever necessary to harden the bar.

32% SCI (melted)
20% SLSA
10% coco glucoside
15% coca betaine
3% stearic acid
3% glycerin
2% sucrose cocoate
2% Panthenol
1% vit E
1% sodium PCA
1% germall
And is there anything I can do to harden the bars that I made ?

less glicerine more powdered surfacants but 3 days is not really long time, Mine are hard in two days, I use less liquids too

I agree with Dahila about reducing the liquids. My syndet bars are 60% solid syndets, to give you a point of comparison.

I would definitely omit the glycerin. Glycerin, being a humectant, will want to absorb water into the bar, thus making the bar softer. That will work against your goal of a firm bar.

I put the bars in my frost free refrigerator to dry down after I make them. The very low humidity helps water to evaporate so the bars firm up a bit quicker. Some of your liquids aren't going to evaporate (like the glycerin) so drying in a fridge helps but isn't going to 100% solve your trouble.

Liquid germall plus is recommended for use at 0.5% max if I remember correctly. Not sure I'd use 1%.

Last edited:
I agree with Dahlia about reducing the liquids. My syndet bars are 60% solid syndets, to give you a point of comparison.

I would definitely omit the glycerin. Glycerin, being a humectant, will want to absorb water into the bar, thus making the bar softer. That will work against your goal of a firm bar.

I put the bars in my frost free refrigerator to dry down after I make them. The very low humidity helps water to evaporate so the bars firm up a bit quicker. Some of your liquids aren't going to evaporate (like the glycerin) so drying in a fridge helps but isn't going to 100% solve your trouble.

Liquid germall plus is recommended for use at 0.5% max if I remember correctly. Not sure I'd use 1%.
Thank you so much

Back