Freshest Soap in the World

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ran across this blurb on a soap site I wanted to order from yet it seems kinda hokey:
“developed a unique proprietary process for creating our hand crafted batches of soap.

The process includes suspending the soap in a glycerin state with botanicals and essential oils never being exposed to caustic sodas/lye therefore never altering the delicate state of those natural ingredients.

Our Bar Soap is ready for delivery within 24 hours delivering the freshest bar soap in the world.”

a list of ingredients from their site:
Reishi Mushroom Extract, Calendula Extract, Chamomile Extract, Hops Extract,*Sodium Hydroxide, Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Unrefined Hempseed Oil, Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Rosehip Oil, Neem Oil, Matcha Tea, French Green Clay, Essential Oil Tea Tree, Essential Oil Bergamot, Essential Oil Grapefruit.

*After the saponification of oils occurs, no Sodium Hydroxide remains.

I was thinking maybe they hot process?

I'm always wary of people using fancy language to misled/misinformed. Soap in a glycerin state? What on earth? Soap is a bar, but glycerin is liquid, so I don't know how the soap could be suspended in glycerin and still be in bar form.

After reading the fancy description about 5 times, I also guess it could be hot process. That would mean saponification was done before they added the essential oils and the other delicate natural ingredients.

I still don't know about the suspended soap in a glycerin state .

There is so much wrong there that I don't have time to go into it all, but
1. soap is inherently alkali, and pretending that not introducing it to lye directly will result in the additives being unharmed is a little silly. The additives will absolutely be affected.
2. Even if a bar contained the elixir of life so that mildness was unnecessary, it still requires time to set up soap molecules properly, and there is no way around that.
3. All NaOH soap contains glycerine, it's a byproduct of the chemical reaction. Either they added their ingredients in extra glycerin and the bar is going to be very soluble and attract water like no other, or they just added additives after saponification when there was natural glycerine which is standard practice for hot process.

Things they gain from selling a "fresh" bar:
-It won't last long at all (doubly if they are actually adding glycerine-the language is unclear). This means it has to be purchased more often or in larger quantities by those who believe they will get substantial benefits from the ingredients.
-they don't have to worry about storage, just make-and-ship.
-Labeling it "fresh" implies a use-it-before-it's-bad. They're implying that soap is a short-lived product, likely to become moldy or rancid.
-If rancidity in a short time is expected or allowed, they don't have to worry as much about fresh oils, proper working materials, and the like.

They're treating soap like lotion.
Considering how many consumers want their soap to actually be lotion, I guess products and adds like this were inevitable, but it's still disingenuous at best.

Is it possible they’re making their own M&P base (and letting it cure)? Then when an order comes in, they just melt some and mix in the EOs and botanicals? That could explain how it’s ready to use immediately.
Making from-scratch M&P requires multiple ingredients that aren't in that list, there would be little reason for palm, and the rest of the oils would be fairly problematic for M&P. Either the list is wrong or it's hot process. M&P also benefits from a cure time each time it's made/melted, so within 24 hours is still a bad idea.

Is it possible they’re making their own M&P base (and letting it cure)? Then when an order comes in, they just melt some and mix in the EOs and botanicals? That could explain how it’s ready to use immediately.
If you check the bars on the site, they look very HP.

So basically they're selling uncured HP... and have been successful at it for like 10 years...so goes to show what good marketing can do.

Thanks for the information! I haven’t tried HP and can’t even recognize it. :)

So right about the power of marketing!!

I might be a smidge jealous they can sell such fresh soap...
Even if a bar contained the elixir of life
Agreed!!

I thought this as well. I know there’s still a ton of soapers who believe that HP doesn’t affect ingredients like CP but I have to find that to be true.

I was talking to my husband about it and he said we should ask Kevin Dunn his option and thoughts about this magical and elusive “glycerine state”

What a downright irritating website. At my age that alone would lose my business. Did you happen to notice the ingredient list is even incorrect? with some of the soaps, Sodium Hydroxide is listed right after the extracts which are first. Also, check out the Skin Psyche Face Cream. No preservatives listed. Some of the other lotions/creams have so many extracts and only Optiphen as a preservative I would be afraid of the lotion. These are perfect examples of the types of sellers that are destroying the handmade soap business. As one gal that closed her business in the LA area a few years ago told me, she just could not lie to make sales. She was a long time member in the forum who called me one day to come pick up all her supplies when she lost her market in the Warner Studios Lot.

What a downright irritating website. At my age that alone would lose my business. Did you happen to notice the ingredient list is even incorrect? with some of the soaps, Sodium Hydroxide is listed right after the extracts which are first. Also, check out the Skin Psyche Face Cream. No preservatives listed. Some of the other lotions/creams have so many extracts and only Optiphen as a preservative I would be afraid of the lotion. These are perfect examples of the types of sellers that are destroying the handmade soap business. As one gal that closed her business in the LA area a few years ago told me, she just could not lie to make sales. She was a long time member in the forum who called me one day to come pick up all her supplies when she lost her market in the Warner Studios Lot.
That is absolutely heartbreaking and infuriating. I didn't have the emotional energy to go into the havoc that the misinformation above would be wreaking on the general public, so I didn't look at the website to see how much more of it there was.

By searching for the statements quoted by the OP, I found the website and company in question. Apparently their introductory soap kit includes "half soaps," which are supposed to last for fifteen showers. Logic thus suggests that a full soap would last for 30 showers. That's not very long, IMO, and fits in with the theory that they are selling uncured HP that dissolves quickly in the shower. And somehow, they have convinced people that this is a good thing.

Like the old saying goes, "A lie can travel half way around the world before Truth can get its boots on."

What a load of male bovine excrement! Looking at their soaps without the wrappers, it’s definitely HP. And like a lot of [uneducated] HP soapers, they aren’t properly curing their soap. Which explains why a 6 oz bar of soap only lasts 30 “showers”.

These are the kind of folks who give quality soapers a bad name!

I ran across this blurb on a soap site I wanted to order from yet it seems kinda hokey:
“developed a unique proprietary process for creating our hand crafted batches of soap.

The process includes suspending the soap in a glycerin state with botanicals and essential oils never being exposed to caustic sodas/lye therefore never altering the delicate state of those natural ingredients.

Our Bar Soap is ready for delivery within 24 hours delivering the freshest bar soap in the world.”

a list of ingredients from their site:
Reishi Mushroom Extract, Calendula Extract, Chamomile Extract, Hops Extract,*Sodium Hydroxide, Palm Oil, Coconut Oil, Unrefined Hempseed Oil, Olive Oil, Castor Oil, Rice Bran Oil, Rosehip Oil, Neem Oil, Matcha Tea, French Green Clay, Essential Oil Tea Tree, Essential Oil Bergamot, Essential Oil Grapefruit.

*After the saponification of oils occurs, no Sodium Hydroxide remains.

I was thinking maybe they hot process?
OR is she using melt and pour? I’ve never done melt and pour so I’m not sure but it’s already soap too.
That was my thought that it was melt and pour.

I did t even look at the other products! I did notice their ingredient listing was all ordered wrong, I glanced over that because many people do that. Seems like they wanted to “highlight
What a load of male bovine excrement! Looking at their soaps without the wrappers, it’s definitely HP. And like a lot of [uneducated] HP soapers, they aren’t properly curing their soap. Which explains why a 6 oz bar of soap only lasts 30 “showers”.

I only make one HP soap and it doesn’t look like that but my rebatched CP looks similar in texture.

I also think number the quantity of showers can be misleading since people use soap differently. My husband is a hairy guy and the soap gets abraded pretty quickly so soap doesn’t last long for us if we share it.

i have read in some other popular handmade soap company’s website that the number one complaint is that they don’t last long for the price.

If the bar lasts 30 showers it is not bad for a bar of soap in a shower, plus it depends on how the soap is used. Advertising our soaps would last 30 showers was a selling point for us that worked quite well, for my 5.4-6 oz bars.
Good point, @cmzaha. I wasn't considering that mine last much longer because I use a soap saver/ soap sock.

"Male bovine excrement" lol!
Even being a farmer it took me a second to understand what you said, then I lmao

Back