This is a first!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixie

Reaction score
After two soap on a sticks I should have stopped, but no, not two but three now.
But I have never had this happen!!
I was making beer soap. I added the lye to the oils, stired, hit the stick blender twice and it came to trace. I went to get my FO's and it was too late I had to glob it into the mold. :(
What happened??! Well the only think I can figure is the water discount I took, which was 22, but I always do 22 with that any recipe over 65 ounces, and then the other thing is I didn't take the temperature of the oils and lye. I know they both were under 120 but I am wondering if the lye was too cool and the oil hotter like 115?

Well this time I am done for a while, 3 x's in a row is just too much!

Have you used beer to make soap before?? :?

So sorry that you're having a bad stretch of soaping. :(

Jude

Awww Geez! One bad sieze a couple of weeks ago was enough for me. I can't imagine 3!

Did you boil the alcohol out of the beer?

Perhaps a weaker lye solution is in order for a beer soap? I dunno because it's been forever since I made a beer soap...I do remember that I used a weaker lye solution though. I'm sure there are others that do beer soaps on a more regular basis can give you better advise than I can. Sorry about your troubles though! (((hugs)))

Thanks you guys. No I haven't used beer before. Nope, no new oils, just a simple recipe. I was really suprised by this. The gardenia FO I could understand but not this one. Oh well. I'm out here, leaving in the morning for Tennessee, so I'll be giving it a break:) They are not total losses, all have been saved thus far....well, not sure yet about the beer soap, but oh well.

I make a ton of beer soap. I never have troubles when I make the soap. I do boil/simmer the beer till there is 1/3 to 1/2 left then add filtered water to bring it back to the weight I started with. It is a different story when I make beer shampoo bars. I have time to get the FO in but after that it is get it in the mold in 2 minutes or be ready for a fight. I think that is due to the increased castor oil.

Bruce

Back