Thinking about doing this..any tips ..iDEAS

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patriciam

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am from Florida..wanted to start making some stuff but finaces hard right now..the shampoo bar looks good and lip balms but do not know the first thing about making either and what is involved and do not understand the %s of ingredients..used to cups and teaspoons when mearsuring
Patricia

Welcome to the forum

Unfortunately, the state of Florida does not allow ANY cosmetic to be manufactured in your residence. You can make whatever you like for personal use, but not for sale.

Cups and teaspoons are fine for cooking, but when you are making soaps or bath and body products everything is calculated by weight. The very first thing you need to invest in is a good scale that will weigh by the gram. Percentages are given for most recipes because you can size them to make as much as you want. Don't panic, as you learn more and more you will get used to it!

Shampoo bars can be somewhat advanced to start out with, I would also say start with a lip balm. One of my favorite sources for recipes is https://www.thesage.com/recipes/recipes.php?.State=ListRecipes&cat=Lip_Balms or you can google, or you can use the search function here on the forum, just type in lip balm.

Castille soap is a great start.
Two cheap ingredients and plastic containers that you may already have.
Check out Soaping101!
Good luck!

You can make lip balms and lotion bars using teaspoons/cups, but you will get better results if you purchase a kitchen scale. My go to recipe used to be equal parts beeswax, cocoa butter, and coconut oil, but I've gotten more adventurous with my oils in my lip balms over time. I also find that a little less wax is nicer in a lip balm.

Lip balms are fun! I like the idea of starting with a castile soap too. You've got olive oil, lye, and water. My mother in law makes nothing but castile and sends it to us. We go through it like crazy! You can also use castile soap after it's cured to make homemade laundry soap.

I keep telling myself that I am going to try some lip balms myself, and I have yet to get around to making them. I am too busy making lots of soap! Oh, Welcome to the forum, there is tons of information and help here :)

Speaking Of Lip Balms

This is my first post here...
Here goes...
This is a good lip balm or salve blend.

Beeswax - 20 grams
Shea Butter - 35 grams
Sweet Almond Oil - 45 grams

A simple blend we've used. Many recipes show 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 shea butter and 1/3 almond oil. That produces a very hard product. This ratio is better.

You could also increase the wax a little, leave off the shea butter and then substitute olive oil for the almond oil. That will get about the same result with a little bit more sticky feel.

Getting the ratio of beeswax to oils correct makes all the difference in the feel of these kinds of products.

You don't really need a preservative for these simple wax and oil blends.

An antioxidant might be helpful, to prevent rancidity of the oils. Rosemary Oleoresin Extract is the antioxidant of choice.

Best wishes...

Al

Be careful about adding peppermint oil. Peppermint oil can burn your skin and your tender lips will be blistery for days. Use flavor oils made specifically for lip balms. I know you can add natural flavorings like honey, just beware not all EOs or extracts are safe for using in lip balms and some can be downright nasty.

thanks guys..was thinking if I got good enough I would share with friends..wonder why Florida has that rule of no selling..I do know that our flea markets here sell goat milk lotions and soaps to the customers..these are home made
thanks for all the good tips..so a good kitchen scale?

FL has some strange rules. I haven't been here long, but the rules and such are overwhelming. What part of FL are you in? I ask because there is a really sweet lady at the local market here who is great to talk with. She does goats milk soap, lotions, and a great all natural bug spray. I actually need to get back up with her. She was going to give me the info for her lye distributor. Would love to see if it's less expensive than essential depot.

Soap is an exception to the rule. That you can sell homemade because it's not a cosmetic. As long as you don't make any claims that it reduces wrinkles, brightens skin, etc.

Latest posts

Back