The "what happened" post

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happysoap

Reaction score
This is my CP charcoal soap with goat milk. It is a batch of my true and tested recipe. I have made it hundreds of times. I made it following all the standard soapmaking methods. Poured and went to sleep. I went to unmold it today and I found myself scratching my head. At the bottom there were was some caustic liquid. At the top 1mm there is a white layer of soap (not soda ash). Any ideas what could have caused this?

Above is the top and here is the bottom

image.jpg

image.jpg

Wow, I wouldn't know where to begin guessing. First of all, is anything different, anything at all? Different mold? Ordered oils from a different supplier? Powdered goat's milk as opposed to liquid? New stick blender? Anything? I think there has to be something different that caused this to happen. It's just trying to figure out what the heck that was! The fact that it's a recipe that you've made over and over again in the past with no problems, makes it more difficult. I'm stumped. :Kitten Love:

gosh, dont you hate it when that happens. your tried n tested recipe suddenly acting out on you. i swear soap has a mind of its own sometimes. it decided to be a rebel today. sorry my blurbs are no help.... but like navigator above me said, there must be a different variable that might be the perpetrator...

Nothing is different. Same mold. Same blender. Same everything. It was supposed to be just another steady batch to stock up my supplies.

The only thing is that I just remembered that I forgot to add the tablespoon of sugar. But I can not see the sugar being the problem.

Here is a twist to the story... the top part seems to be softer than the bottom so I am thinking that some kind pf settling occured....

Actually I think it took look a bit longer to trace than normal. But I had attributed that to the fact that it was a cold day. Why? What are you thinking?

I had a batch do almost the same thing that was finally attributed to false trace. I re-batched it, and it did fine in the long run. But I learned my lesson on really fast tracing soaps.

I am still thinking it was not quite blended long enough, especially if you blended at cool temperatures. However, I am no expert, so I am looking forward to seeing some of the experts' opinions.

Back