The truth about PAYPAL secure cards

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabitha

Reaction score
I just learned something EVERYONE should know. If you use paypal you can generate a secure card to make payments online. There are 2 types of cards, single use cards & multi use cards. The multiuse cards are good when you want a website to bill you monthly to the same card, etc. The single use cards are good when you only want to authorize 1 single payment.

Here is the problem: Single use cards can be used 4 times! I was on the phone w/ paypal for nearly an hour because a vendor charged my *single use* card 3 times. They said yes, that was incase the vendor made a mistake they would allow 4 tries. I expressed my dissatisfaction with their misleading adverts to which they apologized but said it was policy.

To make a long story short: single use cards may be used 4 times by a seller/vendor.

Just thought everyone should know...

ok... if a vender makes a mistake... they actually deserve THREE more chances to do it right?? that's ridiculous, thanks for the post.

Okay...........let me see if I have this straight, "single" use means "pay vendor 4 times". Nope, does not compute. Did you lose your money?

Digit

I have to dispute the additional charges (insert smiley of guy cswearing here).

Now that don't make no sense too me; after a few choice words & threatening of a lawsuit, PayPal would have my money back on my credit card. Ok, I've seen it a couple of time some where on PayPal site, PayPal states "that if the transaction (payment) fails to be funded from your account than they would use your credit card to fund the transaction" when you're making a payment on an invoice. No where do I see it, unless it's stated in the T & U policies, correct me if I'm wrong, that they will allow a merchant to repeatedly resubmitted a charge against your account for the same transaction. Then what's the use of using Paypal's services if they allow that to happen to anyone.

I just recently had my own issues with PayPal. In mid December, someone hacked into my PayPal account (I am assuming) and started making large ($600-$800) instant bank transfers from my bank account to an overseas account. A total of 4 of these transaction!!! My rent check bounced, my daycare check bounced, my car insurance bounced....you get the drift. The only thing PayPal would do is put my account on a 'limited access' so that whoever was doing it wouldn't be able to do it anymore. Never apologized...never offered to help with all the fees I got socked with....in fact when I tried to get them to pay up....they just flat told me 'it's not their policy to pay fees'. :x

My bank was wonderful throughout the whole mess...opened me a new account...covered all my bounced stuff, refunded all me overdraft fees....even though it wasn't their fault. :D

And as icing on the cake...I keep getting email notices from PayPal letting me know that there is a 'negative balance' on my account that I need to clear up. It's $0.02!!! Probably resulting from all the coversions from US to Euro from the fraudulant activity. No matter how many times I email them they will not clear this up. :x

Soooooo....anyone have any alternatives to PayPal???? :p

My bank was wonderful when that happened to me. I found out (on my birthday - that was a fun one) that everything I had in the bank was in Palestine (minus the credit check they used my money to pay for)..

The first thing the bank said was... "I know it's upsetting, but they didn't steal *your* money; they stole *our* money - you will get it back no matter what."

But hearing this now.. gosh, I've had my paypal account for 10 years - never a problem. I will check my account out and make sure they don't have more info on me than necessary.

I have had my paypal account for 10 years also w/ no major issues.

Now that I know about the 1 time use cards I will use them in a dif mannar though. The funds were returned to my account at the end of 5 days. Luckily they were all small.

Latest posts

Back