The natural candle supply files

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busymakinsoap!

Reaction score
I know there is a Vanilla Files blog on the web. Which has kinda inspired me to do my own :D

My new FO's arrived today. I've been burned in the past a lot with dodgy fragrance and wasted heaps of product. So today I decided rather than jump in (like I am prone to do) I would do a test run. I thought I would share my findings, all are the candle FO, unless stated otherwise:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I made a batch of soap with jus olive oil, ricebran and coconut, I soaped at 110deg. I poured between 25 and 30 grams into each cup and added about 3 to 4% FO. By the time I got to the last one my batch had thickened up, and it was quite hard to measure all the FO, so my findings are not 100% accurate, but it gave me a rough idea of how they will behave.
Most behaved really well, which I am super excited about

The ones that riced were:
- Apple Jack (not as nice as the SC one anyway)
-Cranberry Marmalade (I also prefer SC cranberry spice)

and rain water siezed, but smells great.

SC vanilla fragrance has faded and the regular very vanilla is lovely and strong and buttery. Honey due - no fragrance, and frank and myrh - poo. Rice flower and shea - no fragrance left. SC sandal wood is delish, truer than the antique sandal wood
Ocean breeze smells just like SC sea spice (but at a 1/2 the price).
The strongest scent so far is creme brulee.
All the others smell pretty true to descriptions

It will be interesting to see how they hold up over the next few weeks.

Hi lynn,

Yeah I've read some things on it. I have had a bad experience with him though. A lot of mucking round, and the postage was $150 for a fragrance order I wanted, a bit steep, which is a shame.

Ouch that dosen't sound right you can get stuff from the USA cheaper........love what you have done.......funny I have been buying NCS oils for like five plus years and never thought of trying them in soap!!!!!

What a fabulous trial you have set up ... thanks so much!

I've bought sweet cakes from NCS ... but never looked at these FO's

I'm looking forward to following these adventures! Hope you love most of your new FO's and have loads of fun making new and interesting soaps!

Hi Busy! Do you still have all of your test samples? Just curious about any color changes.

Also wanted to clarify: All of the fragrances in the pic with "S/C" are SweetCakes fragrances, but supplied by NCS?

This was a great experiment.

Also wanted to clarify: All of the fragrances in the pic with "S/C" are SweetCakes fragrances, but supplied by NCS?

Yes, I think she gets the S/C from NCS.

hi busy, just wondering how these are going?

Relle, do you only use the candle FO's at NCS? which candle FO'd so you find work well in CP?

thanks girls :)

Kylie, no I don't just use the candle FO in Cp, I also use the Laespa and S/C and EO's.
As far as what works - just about any.
I've tried - Lime Cooler - strong, Choc/Fudge - Yum, Creme Broulee - Yum,
Lavender -light scent. Many more I can't think of,they're cheap enough so buy a few.

Lyn said:
Okay I know this is ot (sorry) but I see a few Aussie soapers in the thread and thought I would just thorw a plug in for the Aussie Christmas Soap Swap. :D See swaps section if interested :D

hehehe, good one Lyn

Relle, thanks heaps, i'm just going to bite the bullet and get some i think :)

I love that this has been done, I wanted to post sooner but was unable to. I have a few of these fo and some others not listed. The only one that just stinks and I have no idea how I'm going to use it, I may just end up throwing it out is mulberry. It has a very medicine smell to it, it's not nice at all.

hi all!

just wanted to add i got some of these FO's so thought i'd update my findings. i got:

watermelon
baked apple pie
french pear
ocean breeze
sage and pomegranate
lemon verbena
cotton candy

tested all except cotton candy and they all behaved really well, no ricing or seizing. i found the sage and pom A a little but the others were a breeze to work with. This test was only a few days ago, they all still smell great, the baked apple pie is turning a lil golden.

so, for the price, i'm super happy :) plus, NCS have such fab service

Kylie I've used the watermelon, french pear,cotton candy (yellows a little),all went well, I've had the ocean breeze a while and haven't used it yet. Must try the apple pie and I prefer the lemon grass to the verbena (its a bit stronger).

Soaped the Pink Frangapani laespa) last night moves fairly quick but time to do a one colour swirl and could feel it heating up on me. Nice fragrance but personally at the price it is I would probably keep for lotions and shampoo. Will be interesting to see how it develops in cure.

Latest posts

Back