The fairies just love my big expensive batches!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AshleyR

Reaction score
Argh!

I just made some oatmeal & honey soap. I have used this honey FO before and had no problems, so this time I went ahead and made a big 7 lb batch!

Within about 15 minutes of it being in the mold, it started separating. My immediate thought was "ugh, this is going to be a pain to grate and rebatch!" (I hate rebatching!) so I poured it back into the pot, stick blended it some more, and stuck it in the oven. I'm going to try and HP it and hope it stays together.

I looked over my recipe - everything's good. I stirred in 6 tbsp. of liquid honey at trace (it did turn the soap orange, but I don't care since the FO turns it light brown anyway), and 8 tbsp. of powdered oatmeal.

I'm thinking that it may have separated from overheating. The oils and lye were pretty hot when I mixed them, and I probably did add the honey a little too soon. Do you think this is probably what caused the separation? Because it most likely overheated, is it a bad idea to have it in the oven HP'ing? :?:

Anyway, I'm hoping to save it, but I just had to rant! Funny thing is, this is only the second time I have made a batch this size (I usually make 3.5 lb ones), and BOTH times my batches have separated. I have no luck when it comes to doing big batches!

:(

ETA: I did HP it, and it turned out AWESOME!! I think I am going to HP this soap every time from now on. Yahoo!

I always end up having to HP my OMH soaps because of separation so now I just simply do it that way.... It is such a fantastic soap! I've found that I don't need to add an FO to this one because the scent of the honey stays with the soap so well!!!! You'll find that this soap becomes one of your more popular one......

Thanks Lindy... I am a little relieved to hear that you HP your OMH soaps too because of this. Makes me feel a little better!

I just did the zap test and there's no zap already (it's only been in the oven about 30 minutes)... I think it's probably ready to pour back in the mold. I'm scared! If it separates again I'll cry. LOL

I have been making the OHM with oils and lye at room temperature, it has worked very well so far. I don't cover the mold and it gels with no overheating at all .Actually I am doing them all RTCP and loving the play time.I am not a good rebatcher .(ok I admit it , I have a box full of soap odds and sods that need to be reinvented.)

HTH

Kitn

Ah don't cry - you can always throw it back in the oven.

So how many batches are you getting done a week now that you have the go-ahead? Have you got some spots lined up that you want to go to sell your soap?

I'm glad I was able to reassure you - I find there are some soaps that I just HP and most of them include honey....

Lindy said:
So how many batches are you getting done a week now that you have the go-ahead? Have you got some spots lined up that you want to go to sell your soap?

This was my first big batch that I was making to sell (just my luck! Hah!) I'm going to try to do one batch a day as I have about 20 different kinds I want to make.

I do have a few gift shops that are already interested in wholesaling. Hopefully I'll be able to get some more!

My latest batch, the batch that didn't take the color, had honey in it. It was a 2 pound batch and I added 2 tbsp at trace and had no problem. I did it RTCP though. After the geling took place I noticed that some drops came to the surface (should have taken a pic) and I was concerned but I let it complete the 24 hours and the weird drops on top apparently reabsorbed into the soap. Don't know what it was but I'm glad they're gone! I did the zap test and the soap is fine. Well, just wanted to share.....

Sibi

I wasted a pound of expensive mango butter on soaps that came out badly! :? Learned some good lessons though.

Hope your soap turns out OK!

I just made some oatmeal/honey olive/coconut oil soap last weekend and didn't insulate the mold at all because I read someplace that oatmeal and honey both make it prone to overheating volcano-ing. It only partially gelled and has a pretty funky looking lighter colored ring around the outside now. :x

Not too upset since it was a super small batch and I'm the only one who's going to be using it, but I think in the future I'll insulate and just check on it frequently? I have seen many people saying it is easy to overheat it though!

Norai said:
I just made some oatmeal/honey olive/coconut oil soap last weekend and didn't insulate the mold at all because I read someplace that oatmeal and honey both make it prone to overheating volcano-ing. It only partially gelled and has a pretty funky looking lighter colored ring around the outside now. :x

Not too upset since it was a super small batch and I'm the only one who's going to be using it, but I think in the future I'll insulate and just check on it frequently? I have seen many people saying it is easy to overheat it though!

Yep I have made this exact batch in a smaller size before and had no problems. I have also had soaps that gelled nicely and only partially gelled when I've insulated them the same. CP is a roller coaster! ;)

Lindy said:
I always end up having to HP my OMH soaps because of separation so now I just simply do it that way.... It is such a fantastic soap! I've found that I don't need to add an FO to this one because the scent of the honey stays with the soap so well!!!! You'll find that this soap becomes one of your more popular one......

Can I get an amen? I can't keep that one in stock to save my life...everyone loves it!

LJA said:
Hey Ash -
How did it come out?

It turned out awesome!! I'm very lucky. Whew!

I think from now on I will just do it HP like Lindy, to save myself the heart attack! LOL

Back