That sinking feeling...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lulu2

Reaction score
I have been scouring these pages for months, learning so much about soap. Now I've moved onto balms - lip balms and salves in round aluminium tins. But they keep sinking in the middle and cracking, leaving unsightly dips. Any tips on how to avoid this please?
My recipe uses Beeswax, Jojoba Oil, Olive Oil, Coco Butter, Mango Butter, Coconut Oil, Castor Oil, honey and lemon EO.
Thanks in advance :D

Maybe try a blowdryer on hot but low fan setting on the tops to remelt them? Or put hot water in a pan and set them in the water, without getting water in them of course, and letting them slowly remelt that way?

Wow - thanks guys. Didn't think I'd get a reply so quickly!
It's difficult isn't it, as you don't want to lose the EO fragrance. But think I will try to remelt this batch on the top and do a double pour on round two. Nobody said it would be easy..... must try harder! :D

An update.....
I tried melting the tops with my hairdrier, but it blew the balm over the edges, even on low! Soooo - I dug out my paint stripper heat gun and it works a treat! I am so pleased.
The only thing is, it blows out black bits. So my next purchase will be a cook's blow torch, which are about a tenner on Amazon. Problem totally solved. Hurrah! Happy Sunday everyone.
Thanks so much!

my heat gun does not blow black bits. i recommend a heat gun over a blow-torch thing. you can use the heat gun for more things, and it's safer. get a new one.

you aren't going to lose fragrance by remelting.

Latest posts

Back