Testing soap before complete cure

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often sample the end slivers of my soaps before cure is complete, but I'm never happy with the results.

I usually test a small piece for lather within a couple days and do a shower test around 4 weeks. So far, all the bars I test are still too harsh at 4 weeks.

I usually test a small piece for lather within a couple days and do a shower test around 4 weeks. So far, all the bars I test are still too harsh at 4 weeks.

How much longer do you normally cure your soap after that?

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I only cure mine for four weeks. If they're harsh at that time, I think you need a new recipe.
I use mine right away for hand washing. I bathe with it whenever I feel like it. Doesn't hurt a thing if you make good soap, I think.

I am the same. I cure mine for 4 weeks (mind you they continue to cure even after so thats just how long I let them sit out on my shelf)

I also use a piece sometimes right away to test, or after 2 weeks a full bar to test. Works for me. I do notice that when I sample pieces right after making them, my hands get abit dry, but that's due to the fact that it's so fresh and that does not last long.

There is nothing wrong with my recipes, I just have very sensitive skin. I let mine cure for at least 8 weeks before I can use regularly, 12 weeks is even better.

12 week cure is even better, the longer the cure the better the soap (some don't agree, everyone is different, but I sure think so, Castile Soap cured for 6 months is a heck of alot better than Castile Soap cured after 4 weeks

Soap, gotta love it :D WOOOOOOOO!!

I sample little pieces for handwashing anywhere from a few days to a couple weeks after they come out of the mold. Ditto what everyone else said about curing.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I cure mine 6-8 at least, but even I have very sensitive, dry skin, after few days they don’t dry my. I guess it depends on a recipe and oils that we use.

If I've tried a new recipe I've GOT to try a sample out. My curiousity gets to me too much :lol: But I don't go near that sample piece for at least 4 weeks and I leave the full bars for a minimum of 6 weeks before putting one in the shower or giving one away.

Last edited:
If I'm curious about a new recipe I'll usually use an end piece in the shower after a week. If I like it ,then I know I'll love it after my usual 8 week cure time. Just know that it's going to go fast and won't feel nearly as good as it will after a full cure!
However, I've never found any of my soaps to be harsh or overly drying after a week's cure....

If I'm curious about a new recipe I'll usually use an end piece in the shower after a week. If I like it ,then I know I'll love it after my usual 8 week cure time. Just know that it's going to go fast and won't feel nearly as good as it will after a full cure!
However, I've never found any of my soaps to be harsh or overly drying after a week's cure....

Ha! now you've given me a good argument for not waiting my strict 4 weeks yeah! :clap: Seriously though, my soaps are very mild so I agree 4 weeks for the first try is probably not necessary for me.

I’m also impatient! I must try it, zapp test it, and so on strait, now! LOL

I only cure mine for four weeks. If they're harsh at that time, I think you need a new recipe.
I use mine right away for hand washing. I bathe with it whenever I feel like it. Doesn't hurt a thing if you make good soap, I think.

Nothing wrong with giving soap a good long cure.
I've tested at 4, 6, 12, 52 and 104 weeks. The left-overs from my testing are better now at three years than ever before.
For me, just good doesn't work. I strive to sell the best product I can.
I personally wouldn't choose to sell at under 3 months of cure for soaps with an olive oil percentage up to 50.
My bastille and castille take a lot longer.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't choose to sell at under 3 months of cure for soaps with an olive oil percentage up to 50.
My bastille and castille take a lot longer.
Thank you! That is the information I could not get out of anyone until now, and I use such of quantities of OO. I really appreciate it!

I personally wouldn't choose to sell at under 3 months of cure for soaps with an olive oil percentage up to 50

I agree. I make a couple of bars with the OO at 70% and 92%. After a month cure they are still just not right. I have cured my 70% for a year and let me tell you - wow. Compared to the exact same soap cured for a month or even 2 weeks (I was too impatient to wait haha:) the one cured for 2 weeks, is honestly, crap.

I also try to cure my salt soaps for minimum 2 months and they are made with mostly coconut oil

Certain soaps just need it!!

I heard that if you have cured a soap for a year plus, you could call it vintage, has anyone else heard this?

Latest posts

Back