Tennessee Candle Company Soap Scents Tests

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I should post an update since they are having a sale. This is mostly for the discoloration. The Dried Apple Wreath (#198, no dis) smells like dried apples with just a hint of spice. It hasn't finished curing yet but it is a strong scent and holding true to day 1. It replaced the Winter Candy Apple for me. The Honeysuckle Passion discolored almost black. I didn't have too many FOs that did that. It smells fruity right now but not floral. I have their honeysuckle which I like. This one is very different. The fruit loops smell citrusy fruity without any dough/baked scent. Very ashy. Grandma's Kitchen smells like raw spicy dough right now with emphasis on the raw. These aren't six week old yet.

I hope they post the rest of their IFRAs. I'm becoming more cautious about usage rates.

197-200_SMF.jpg

That honeysuckle passion is shocking! I've never had a FO go that dark. I've been wanting to order the dried apple wreath. I purchased their Winter Candy Apple, and I am not sure if I like it, the scent has held, but I think it is just OK. I don't know how it compares to others since it is the only one I've tried.

Wow - that is dark! A unique color, too. Too bad it doesn't resemble honeysuckle or passion!

Last night I saw the sale and ordered True Lavender, Redwood Cedar and the regular Honeysuckle. Wasn't paying attention to this thread SM145, but I did see your entries in the fragrance review chart linked below. Shipping was cheap even on a small order - so how could I ignore all the great tips??

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...M/edit?authkey=CMTEtswL#gid=496389430&vpid=A1

Dixie, if you have any specific ones you are interested in for the current sale from TCS or FB, post and I'll answer before the sales are over. I think the threads have a list of all the ones that I tested so far. I'm transferring the reviews to the chart but it is a lengthy process because of the number of FOs.

I tested Under the Tree. My sample is 5 weeks old. The scent is medium strong and holding. It discolored slightly to a light beige. It is a well-blended coniferous green scent without the harsh off notes that are present in CS Mistletoe and FB Winter Festival. I plan on mixing it with BB Christmas Forest to bring up the coniferous notes. CT cured more soapy than green. I like UTT well enough to use it on its own for that Xmas tree scent.

I don't have the other 2. Their usage rates are low. I prefer to have a wider error margin on the IFRAs.

ETC: The BB FO is Christmas Forest not Christmas Tree

Last edited:
Tangerine Dream-light orange in bottle. Accelerated, bright neon yellow immediate discolor, heating up in a three oz single cavity mold. 24 hrs, no gel, discolor tuning down to light yellow. Update: At three weeks, lighter smell but still there. Tan brown discolor.

I soaped the Tangerine Dream 5 weeks ago, my soap stays yellowish-creamy. It did accelerate, but was very manageable. The scent is medium strong.

Here are 3 of TCS's test soaps, all made from the same batch 5 weeks ago. All scented at 0.9 oz ppo.
I took the picture 10 minutes ago:
FOs_SMFDSC08576.jpg

I thought I would update the last few FOs from TCS:

190-FlowerBomb: Light sand discoloration, light ash. The scent disappeared but came back. At 6 months, it’s a light scent. May try it in some blends but it’s no viable on its own. FB's FlowerBomb is stronger.

191-Forest Muse: No discoloration, minimal ash. At 6 months, it is a nice spicy scent with hints of coniferous green/ pine. Well balanced. Was much sharper/coniferous when first poured but mellowed out to a nice soapy spicy scent without anything artificial or sweet. Medium strong at 6 months and holding. I would buy it again and use alone or in a blend.

192-Be Delicious: No discoloration, very heavy ash. I’m not sure how to describe this scent. I would classify it as green with floral, cucumber and musk notes. I may test it in few blends. Medium strong at 6 months.

193-Ocean Fresh: No discoloration, light ash. This one is related to Be Delicious except no cucumber and less floral. I would classify it as ocean scent. Medium strong and holding at 6 months. Both Be Delicious and Ocean Fresh have many competing notes and will smell different depending on what scent I smelled before. I’ve found that FOs like that benefit from the addition of a small amount of another FO like sandalwood or musk or patchouli. It unmasks the scent and allows all the notes to be detected. I will be doing more tests with these 2.

194-Sweet Musk: Discolored light pistachio green, medium ash. Very strong, bright musk scent. Very strong scent at 6 months. The 5% usage rate needs to be cut in half at least. I would use it alone or in a blend.

I think I have few more testers from TCS but I'm getting very close to done. Overall, I'm surprised at how many of their FOs I ended up using either alone or to rescue other FOs.

Hrm, I may have to try Be Delicious on a round........

I had three different sniffers tell me that Peach Magnolia Rasberrry reminds them of a hospital.......a clean hospital but still. Greattttttt. Well, it holds well at least LOL.

Thanks for adding these in!

I've been around a lot of hospitals but none smelled anything like Peach Raspberry Magnolia. Just an FYI: Summer Fling from BB smells fairly identical to TCS PRM but is a much more diluted version of this scent. I'm sticking with the TCS version. It's a favorite of several friends. I'm down to my last 4 bars from a large batch I poured around Christmas. It's next on my soap "to do" list. I poured PRM at 5% and it stayed so strong that I never used a single bar of it. I'm going to cut it to 2.5% this time around.

Hrm, ok maybe I'll go ahead and make up a bigger batch of it anyway...my sniffers may need coffee LOL

I got an email few days ago that they are going out of business. I'm bummed. I only found them about a year ago but they have several FOs that have become favorites of my crowd. I tried to buy some stock as soon as I found out but the majority were already out of stock. If I knew something about the FO business, I would buy the recipe for the FOs and offer them for sale. I don't want them duped. I want the originals. I'm hoping somebody would buy the business to keep it going.

I'm in the same boat....the lilac can't be beat. Too bad we don't know anyone who wants to buy the formulas...

Oh no! I know I have a few of those vanilla and others in testers thanks to soapmaker, hopefully they don't end up a favorite when I am done testing.

Back