Tea Tree Oil Soap - White Tops and Dots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizvang

Reaction score
Hello!

I made this batch of tea tree oil soap but the tops are white. Soda ash? Should I have spritzed with rubbing alcohol after pouring into mold?

Also, the only colour used was green oxide, the "cream" is natural and I'm wondering why I have spots on the soap. Maybe from cutting (I hate my cutter)?

Any comments appreciated!

IMG_7154.jpg

IMG_7155.jpg

IMG_7156.jpg

yep, soda ash. sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. it surely is a mystery to me. from doing my own observation, i found that i rarely get soda ash if i put some towels on top of the mold to trap heat. my "non chem savvy" logic tells me that (when i don't insulate), the top of the soap is exposed more to air than the rest of the soap, thus the soda ash. someone please cmiiw :D

yep, soda ash. sometimes it's there, sometimes it's not. it surely is a mystery to me. from doing my own observation, i found that i rarely get soda ash if i put some towels on top of the mold to trap heat. my "non chem savvy" logic tells me that (when i don't insulate), the top of the soap is exposed more to air than the rest of the soap, thus the soda ash. someone please cmiiw :D

I'm with seven on this. If I cover/insulate I don't get ash. If I don't cover/insulate (cupcakes/individual salt soap) I get ash even spraying with 91% alcohol. So, now I try to cover everything. Put a box over the top whatever it takes to keep air from hitting it for 24 hours.

I think it looks awesome despite the ash, just adds more white to it.
I don't see the "spots" you're talking about unless you're looking at the drag marks from your cutter, I get those too sometimes. Right after I cut a bar I take my finger and slide it from the bottom of the bar up to get those little places to readhere to the bar and they go away. Hope that makes sense.

I didn't really insulate this batch actually so that's likely the reason for the white. I had loose cardboard over the top and put it in the oven to keep it away from the animals.

What's the best way to tidy up a soap? I seem to be making a hot mess of suds and whatnot and having to rinse under water which makes them really wet.

From playing with some soaps and experimenting, I've found that covering with saran wrap works the best for me. Full gel, (CPOP) or no gel, (freezer). The soaps that I didn't cover with saran wrap had SA form on them, even the freezer, though to a lesser degree. The covered/sealed molds showed no SA. I've been doing this for a while now, and haven't had a SA batch since.

And spritzing the tops with alcohol has it's followers, but I've never seen a difference using the technique.

Good job on the soaps.

Beginner soap maker

I just wanted to say hello and thank you to all for awesome discussions, I fall in love love with making soap and thinking that I'm driving my family crazy with all the soap conversations, so here I fo people who shares my love!

From playing with some soaps and experimenting, I've found that covering with saran wrap works the best for me. Full gel, (CPOP) or no gel, (freezer).

I've used saran wrap since I started making soap, and I've never seen ash appear, so this backs what you're saying.

I usually saran wrap it, then wrap that in a towel. I like gel better than non gel, though.

I've used saran wrap since I started making soap, and I've never seen ash appear, so this backs what you're saying.

I usually saran wrap it, then wrap that in a towel. I like gel better than non gel, though.

I agree on the Gel. The only soaps I don't CPOP is my salt bars. those do just fine without it.

I didn't really insulate this batch actually so that's likely the reason for the white. I had loose cardboard over the top and put it in the oven to keep it away from the animals.

What's the best way to tidy up a soap? I seem to be making a hot mess of suds and whatnot and having to rinse under water which makes them really wet.

I think your batch looks really nice, with or without the ash. If the ash is driving you crazy (it does me sometimes) you can steam your bars after they're done curing. Some people use a clothing steamer, but I don't have one. What I do is boil a small pan of water and CAREFULLY hold the ashy parts over the steam (be careful, steam can burn you easily!) for a few seconds. Voila! The ash just disappears in seconds.

I've found that i'm less likely to get soda ash if i cover the soap for at least 2 days. Even covering with a paper towel after unmoulding seem to help.

This might all be in my head though... but as long as i think it helps. :D

Latest posts

Back