Tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scrubbie

Reaction score
I think I am going to try tallow. I know there are differing views on this but, I want to try. Does anyone have a nice tallow recipe yu r willing to share that I can start with. I was looking at its properties and I may want an alternative to palm and coconut oil. My hubby might be allergic.

I make 100% tallow soap, 30 percent lye solution and the normal 5 percent SF. It is wonderful.

If you have a regular recipe that uses palm, you could use the same recipe, but just sub the palm out for tallow. Make sure to run it through a lye calculator first, though, because their SAP #'s are different.

IrishLass :)

I GOT IT! I got the nice fat from my local meat cutter. It is the fat from the rib eyes! This week when I get my laser thermometer I'm gonna render it. I learned last night.

It's in the freezer. I'm getting some supplies this week. From essential depot and Camden grey and a bunch of stuff from different sources. Colorants. I'm trying natures candle liquid iron oxides, fragrance, charcol, and some curling tools. DH got a bonus. I'm getting soap making resource natural colorants. I got tussah slik. A lot of stuff. I'm set for the summer.

Let us know how you go :) I tried it too and it made awesome soap! Can't say I'm much of a fan of the rendering process though, but I think it's something everyone should try once (unless they are vegan!) lol

Well I look at it this way. I will view it just like making beef soup. My parents r Cuban American. They love their Spanish beef soup. sooooooo I will keep telling myself that lolololololo.

Well, I just rendered out my beef fat 2 weeks ago. I just put small cut up pieces of the fat into my crock pot and let 'er go. Made beautiful tallow. but now I also need a receipe to give it a try.

I would like to buy some pure tallow. What I can only seem to find is Walmart shortening with beef tallow but there are other fats mixed in with that.

Maythorn said:
I would like to buy some pure tallow. What I can only seem to find is Walmart shortening with beef tallow but there are other fats mixed in with that.

I made it myself just this week. I got the beef suet from the grocery store, trimmed away all the meat and any blood vessels, cut it into very small pieces, and tried both dry and wet rendering.

I started with wet, but it didn't seem like it was working really well for me, so I scooped out some of the fat and nuked it in the microwaved briefly. Worked well, so I strained the big pot, saving the liquid since there was melted fat in that, and put the fat chunks back over the heat. Melted up pretty quick.

Strained it out, mixed it with the other liquid, let it cool to room temp, then refrigerated it. Beautiful white solid fat floating on the top in the morning!

I will say that I wish I had a mesh strainer, b/c my pasta colander didn't work so well.

And it didn't smell badly at all. Maybe it's b/c I trimmed all meaty parts away. Certainly didn't smell like searing a roast.

(((Will be trying it in a shaving soap for my husband this weekend...may be even hot processed.)))

Wish I had the time and I admit, incentive to render. :roll: I didn't know that about Soaper's Choice carrying tallow. I figured all their oils were vegetable in nature but it seems they carry just about every oil to soap with. Thanks!

I just rendered some beef fat into tallow that I got from friends who were butchering. I thought it smelled like cooking meat, not sticky. They saved me 2 5 gal buckets, rendered down to 20 lbs or more of tallow. I wish I had weighed the buckets first. I did it on a 3 day weekend, wanted to get it all done asap.

My DH and BBF both have very sensitive skin and while each love my soap, will only use it once it has curer for 6-12 months - to give it time to lose the "lye" smell they both claim it has. But I let them smell the tallow soap after 1 week and neither could smell any "lye" smell at all. Both loved the creaminess of it. DH compared the lather to foam shaving gel and loved the way it clung to his face while shaving.

I did use CO because the SoapCalc results made it look like it would not result in a very hard bar without it. But I may try the next batch without any CO. I used 40 % tallow, 19% CO, 36% OO and 5% sunflower with only 5% SF.

My harshest critics gave it 2 thumbs up. I'll be making more.

For my skin Kansas city those numbers are super! Shave soap sounds awesome.

Back