Tallow recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tallow

My main recipe is 60% tallow which I use in all my soaps except my salt bars. I love it for its creamy rich lather, its whiteness. I buy it in 50 pound boxes from SC. I always use 5% castor in all my soaps. I usually use softer oils for the other 35%. I like RBO.
----------------------------------------

www.sadiesmissionsoaps.comm

I am new at soaping as well but love tallow for the bright white, rock hard, very creamy bar it makes. I live in Colorado (US) with extremely dry winter weather and it's my favorite winter soap.

I agree with eyeroll here. I have used lard and it is wonderful, but tallow gives you a whiter, harder, creamy bar of soap. I even used tallow and lard in one recipe and it is awesome!!! :razz:

EG, I am curious why you would leave out the butters??? I use shea butter with my tallow recipe.

Kathie

The saponified properties of Shea butter, palm, lard and tallow are all rather similar. Some soapers have tried swapping out shea for lard in a soap and found the results to be the the same, or so similar that it is near impossible to tell them apart.

If you are doing HP soaps and adding the butter at the end, it is of course somewhat different.

I think lots of us have gone through the putting small amounts of more exotic(read expensive) butters and such in our soaps, only to discover that if you do blind testing, there is no discernible difference.

I think lots of us have gone through the putting small amounts of more exotic(read expensive) butters and such in our soaps, only to discover that if you do blind testing, there is no discernible difference.

But, label appeal! :think: :mrgreen:

I don't sell my soap, so I am not looking for label appeal. I can see how it would benefit you greatly to have a shea, mango, etc soap over lard, CO, OO soap. But for those of us who don't sell, the benefit might not be there.

Back