talk to me about ricing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MzMolly65

Reaction score
I haven't made soap in quite a while and tried a batch the other day. It's oatmilk and rose clay on the bottom 1/2 with activated charcoal on the top. I mixed my lye with 20% salt water and added the oatmilk to the oils.

The combination of salt water/oatmilk and fragrance traced SUPER fast and I think, developed some ricing (not sure and not a lot)

Basically it had little rice-like lumps and I tried to stir them smooth but it was getting too thick so I plopped 'er in the mold and prayed.

It actually turned out not bad, even though it's nothing like I intended. The rice-like bits are a tiny bit darker rose colour and look like spots.

My concern is whether it will be safe to use or will the ricing create areas of heavy lye or anything. If it's just cosmetic I'll leave it but if it's not safe I'll have to do something with it.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/advice.

imagejpeg_2.jpg

Its just cosmetic. Ricing occurs when the batter quickly hardens around droplets of fragrance. I like the specks, very pretty.

Good to see you soaping again. Cool mold, what is that?

It's one of these .. see pic below

I bought it on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cake-Molds-.../301387574271?pt=Bakeware&hash=item462c196bff

It's quite floppy, it was my first time using it, first time soaping in a long time and a super fast trace .. you can see why the outcome looks nothing like I intended.

Not altogether sure I like the size of the soaps. They're more tall and narrow than I'd like. I'd love this mold on my regular sized round cavities.

$T2eC16JHJGkE9no8gJOvBQK)MnT1yg~~60_12.JPG

My official comment on the mold after a second attempt with it ... it's nothing but a PITA ..

A very fiddley mold that frustrates me to no end. Not sure I'll use it again but might give it one more try before officially giving up on it. Pics tomorrow after I unmold trial #2

Latest posts

Back