Will This Soap Be Safe (Ricing)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried another new FO yesterday and had some ricing after adding it. It wasn’t terrible, but I couldn’t really blend it out as it was a small batch and divided into 4 colors in small cups so couldn’t stick blend. I whisked it as best I could and poured and did a hanger swirl. It definitely had some lumps as I poured. When I cut it 12 hours later there was a tiny bit of glistening oil on the cut
B4F1652D-903C-40C7-BE2A-727EF9C6753C.jpeg
surface but they have since dried out. I planned it a bit this morning and there are no lumps it’s very smooth but as you can see there’s white spots all over it. Is this just cosmetic? Will it cure out to be a safe soap? Thanks for any input!
The fragrance is Cactus and Sea Salt from Midwest Fragrance Company and is a very pleasant clean fresh scent. Most of the reviews are from candlemakers but there were several from soapers that really had no issues with it. Second one I tried from there that I’ve had problems with. It’s a shame because they have some nice fragrance oils great customer service and really great prices. Problem is they have not personally tested any of their oils in soap. I also use a lot of hard oils which may have contributed.

Last edited:
Hijacking your threat just a little bit....

Only once have I ever had ricing that didn't completely blend out. I poured it away, wondering what the result would be - and thankfully there was no sign of it in the end product.

But what exactly is ricing anyway? Is it simply batch oil saponifying faster than than the remaining un-riced oils? Is it stearic acid separating out and saponifying faster than the other fatty acids? Also, just how do you recognize the point at which ricing is bad enough that you're going to have to hot process it? (I have a known problem/ricing fo I need to use up soon)

Back