Swirl Critique, Please

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taffylyon10

Reaction score

My soap has again these minuscule little dots and I can't figure out where or why?? The soap area that is free of color also has this appearance. I soaped at 110, light trace with a little Essential Oil.
Coconut Oil 16 Palm 16 Olive Oil 22 Argan 5 Shea Butter 5
I have used the same recipe without the shea and had similar results.

I would like to post my swirl photo (teal and brown) and then another soap photo and they both have the same appearance. Totally perplexed, I am a beginner and obviously have much to learn.
Wire Cutter Used.

photo-44.JPG

1656391_716703355029156_1277804690_n.jpg

I did however not in the creme colored area and you can see the dots are present there as well.

My best guess is from the wire cutter. My eucalyptus hanger swirl one had those as well for the entire batch. It's when you incorporate too much air into the batter. I tried to be real careful these days (burping the sb is a must) and i must say i don't get those lil white bumps anymore.

I get those spots when I pour at light trace. When I mix a bit thicker and pour I never get those. I'm going to do an experiment soon where I divide my mold in 3 or 4 sections and using the same batch, pour at different mixing times into each section to note the differences.

I am wondering if that is the problem, I did do a very light trace and I feel certain that the dots are not caused by air and the blending. If you look on the soap queen tutorial they show the air bubbles and my dots do not resemble the
photo.
I need to solve this before making another batch. Where is Kevin Dunn when we need him?

I used Organic Palm Oil from Essential Wholesale and yes all my liquids were mixed completely.
Soap is two days old and pH level is good. Thin Race and temp used was around 115

I can't remember if I witnessed the spots on the side prior to cutting but I don't believe so.

I have had that happen too and don't know why. It was a batch that did not have any palm oil. I didn't use a wire cutter. Unfortunately I don't remember if I poured at light trace or not, but that is a possibility.

I get them too.. I asked a long while back and was told it was my wire cutter. Now I try to make sure it's a bit more set before I cut.
Today I did one and it was still pretty soft. I'm curious to see if I'll get them.

I have about 7 of my 30 soaps here that have them. Maybe I'll look at my recipes and see if I see any similarities there.

I think this is a problem for the science guy Kevin M Dunn
I just re-read his book on Scientific Soapmaking looking for an answer. Anyone know where he can be emailed?

I'd love to know what you think about that book, I considered buying it but it was quite pricey and I didn't know how useful it would be.

Here are two.. the blue you can't see the bumps as well but they are there.. and the other blue you can see is smooth, that's the uncut piece.

The other has tons of bumps and I don't have the end cut because I used it in the shower today. ha! But it was smooth also.

sample.JPG

sample2.JPG

Jenneelk,

Could this possibly be caused by the immersion stick blender? Burping.....not enough or the blender blades not moving the solution around evenly. I removed from the mold in 24 hours and thought perhaps this might have contributed to the problem.
I remain perplexed but will pay attention to every detail in my next batch.

Scientific Soapmaking is a wonderful book and can be purchased new or used on amazon. I would read the reviews prior to purchasing. I found some useful information however wasn't up to do practice soaps.

Latest posts

Back