Sweet Cakes - YUM!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

busymakinsoap!

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just received my second ever order of sweet cakes. Does anyone have any words of wisdom on any of these scents? I used Egyptian Musk last night for the frst time - and got soap on a stick, would like to avoid that again if possible :lol:

Ralph Lauren Blue - OMG yum!
Masculine Musk - Double yum (I cant believe how good this smells!)
Ginger Essence - Hmmm dont know about that one
Coconut Lemongrass - Yum, but different to what I thought it would be?
Lavender Breeze - Yuck - dont like lavender at the best of times, this was ment to be fresh and young - smells like toilet cleaner
Honeysuckle Hollow - Im not big on floral, I was a bit scared about this, but its nicer than I imagined, kinda like pear, maybe more fruity than floral

I haven't used the ones you got , but have to agree about the lavender, I smelled that in the shop and thought yuck.

Relle.

I couldnt wait for replies so soaped anyway.

I tried the musk - it accelerated big time, didnt have time to swirl.
Honeysuckle - was beautiful to work with, i think it even slowed down trace, very strong smelling
RL blue - again beautiful to work with, slowed trace down, a much lighter smell than the honey suckle

I'll put those on my list to try then and cut out the ones that aren't nice.

I love their Masculine Musk. That is the only FO on your list from SC that I have soaped. It always soaps nicely for me and it sticks forever at only .7 oz ppo. It discolors to a mauve-ish/tan shade, but it's actually quite a pleasant color. I like to leave 3/4 of the batter untouched as far as coloring is concerned while I mix some bronze mica into the remaining 1/4 with which to do an ITP swirl. It gives it a real classy look.

IrishLass :)

IrishLass said:
I love their Masculine Musk. That is the only FO on your list from SC that I have soaped. It always soaps nicely for me and it sticks forever at only .7 oz ppo. It discolors to a mauve-ish/tan shade, but it's actually quite a pleasant color. I like to leave 3/4 of the batter untouched as far as coloring is concerned while I mix some bronze mica into the remaining 1/4 with which to do an ITP swirl. It gives it a real classy look.

Isnt that funny, its one of the few I have used that really accelerated but for you its fine, I soaped really low too.
The Egyptian musk did the same for me but actually seized, I think it was 'cos I used a lot of FO because the smell wasnt very strong.
I had come to the conclusion that musks were tricky to use, but maybe not in all cases?

I do love the smell though, I did (or rather tried) to do a white, black and 2 tone brown swirl, I can see the colours changing

busymakinsoap! said:
IrishLass said:

Isnt that funny, its one of the few I have used that really accelerated but for you its fine, I soaped really low too.
The Egyptian musk did the same for me but actually seized, I think it was 'cos I used a lot of FO because the smell wasnt very strong.
I had come to the conclusion that musks were tricky to use, but maybe not in all cases?

I do love the smell though, I did (or rather tried) to do a white, black and 2 tone brown swirl, I can see the colours changing

I'm convinced that Egyptian Musk has been diluted into oblivion for soaping with. I use it as a perfume. Love the scent but it only lasts a short while on the skin.

Oh nooo! I just ordered SC Egyptian musk, I was so looking forward to this one :(
Has anyone else tried any of these on my upcoming list?

My SC list:
Egyptian musk
Amber ( I have BB one and wanted to compare them)
Bay Rum ( I have ordered this from BTS and it was nice)
Clementine
FRESH Lemon Sugar
Green Tea
Honeysuckle Hollow (I love the Honeysuckle blossom from BTS)
Loccitane Verbena
Mango (Looking for a stronger Mango than the one from BTS)
Precious Amber Maitre Parfumer ( I'm hoping that this one will knock your socks off :lol: at the moment I'm in love with Amber)
Strawberry
True Rose
Tuberose Deluxe
Peach Deluxe

To help with some of those badly behaved FO's, I've been using liquid lecithin with a fair amount of success. I use about 1/2 tsp per oz of FO. You can get it in the health food store. I keep it in the fridge and warm it up before I add my FO.

What also helps is using a slotted spoon or whisk - no stickblending. :eek:)

Might do the Egyptian musk with a whisk perhaps and thanks LisaNY for the advice on liquid lecithin, yet to see if our health stores stock it, but usually they are so pricey.

MizzBee said:
Oh nooo! I just ordered SC Egyptian musk, I was so looking forward to this one :(
Has anyone else tried any of these on my upcoming list?

My SC list:
Egyptian musk
Amber ( I have BB one and wanted to compare them)
Bay Rum ( I have ordered this from BTS and it was nice)
Clementine
FRESH Lemon Sugar
Green Tea
Honeysuckle Hollow (I love the Honeysuckle blossom from BTS)
Loccitane Verbena
Mango (Looking for a stronger Mango than the one from BTS)
Precious Amber Maitre Parfumer ( I'm hoping that this one will knock your socks off :lol: at the moment I'm in love with Amber)
Strawberry
True Rose
Tuberose Deluxe
Peach Deluxe

clementine - awesome I loooove it, smells fab, and soooo easy to work with.
Honey Suckle - thought it was awesome, but had some kinda reaction with 3 batches I did - not sure why, very very strong
Precious Amber - my absolute fav - but it goes REALLY dark, so I stuffed up my batch - you will have to colour or swirl the soap
Green tea - another fab scent, easy to work with and really sticks.

Have read really positive reviews on the true rose - apparently its the best. Ive just ordered another lot, but none of the ones you have. would love to hear how they go

Definitely let you know how they go busymakinsoap, would love to know about the ones you ordered too.
I was hoping to get them today but looks like Monday night for me, always seems too far away when your waiting for soap supplies :lol:

I've soaped with true rose - smells wonderful but has faded some.
tuber rose- quite strong but think you have to add a bit
to keep the smell.

Just made a batch of True Rose...no probs soaping, such a soft pretty scent!
Anyone tried Green Tea, it sort gives me a headache thing when I smell it :(
Loccitane Verbena, Fresh Lemon Sugar are similar to my nose but are nice and lemony.
Anyone soaped with Clementine on it's one, just wondering because it smells very light, also the mango isn't as nice as the BTS mango, maybe I'll try BB mango next, what combo can you have with mango, would peach & mango go well together? Open to all suggestions!
The peach deluxe and strawberry smells ok, would prefer something stronger.
A bit hesitant with Egyptian musk after it's reviews.
Honeysuckle Hollow isn't what I expected but smells lovely, do prefer BTS Honeysuckle Blossom though.
Tuberose Deluxe is strong, hope this holds up!
Precious Amber Maitre Parfumer is lovely can't wait to soap with that one!
BB Amber is so much nicer than this one but still it's ok, looking forward to soap with all the rest left on my list.

I wanted to keep this thread going, so here are my latest SC attempts:

Ginger Essence - soaps really well no A dont no about D as I coloured tan. Smells nice but Im going to mix with chocolate next time - I think it needs something else

Coconut and Lemongrass - smells lovely out of the bottle but the coconut smell has gone. Still smells strong and nice though just lemony. No A or D noted

Tried Masculine Musk again - arrrggg I just cant get it to work heaps of A and D

AND......

Ive just ordered from Heirloom - the freight was $19 vs $7 @ NCS but they have Chocolate!! and Im dying to make a chocolate soap.

I ordered:
Chocolate
Apple Jack peel
Sandalwood vanilla
Cinnamon Hazelnut Coffee
Vera Wang
True Rose

I made myself steer clear of citrus frag - I seem to have a cupboard full of them!

MizzBee said:
Just made a batch of True Rose...no probs soaping, such a soft pretty scent!
Anyone tried Green Tea, it sort gives me a headache thing when I smell it :(
Loccitane Verbena, Fresh Lemon Sugar are similar to my nose but are nice and lemony.
Anyone soaped with Clementine on it's one, just wondering because it smells very light, also the mango isn't as nice as the BTS mango, maybe I'll try BB mango next, what combo can you have with mango, would peach & mango go well together? Open to all suggestions!
The peach deluxe and strawberry smells ok, would prefer something stronger.
A bit hesitant with Egyptian musk after it's reviews.
Honeysuckle Hollow isn't what I expected but smells lovely, do prefer BTS Honeysuckle Blossom though.
Tuberose Deluxe is strong, hope this holds up!
Precious Amber Maitre Parfumer is lovely can't wait to soap with that one!
BB Amber is so much nicer than this one but still it's ok, looking forward to soap with all the rest left on my list.

Ha we posted at the same time!

Yes I have used clemintine. Mine was 4 - 5 weeks ago and is still going strong - I added at 5%. i think its getting better with age. A real true orange smell.

I just checked on my Egyptian musk. I added a higher % of that, I think it was about 7%? The smell is definately there, but its quite subtle. It does smell lovely though very expensive and perfumy. In saying that, I wont try it again, but if you do be prepared.

I love the green tea :) I think its my fav along with clemintine

Did true rose discolour? Im thinking of using it in my soap swap and I need most of my bar to stay bright white

*Snap* lol
So far so good with True Rose, no discoloration, I used 5% and it smells beautiful but it's still early, good to hear about clementine, I would love to do that one next I think! So green tea smells good in soap, now that's second on the list, Egyptian musk sounds tricky but I do love a challenge though 8)

I was at Heirloom yesterday picking up my order and had a sniff of the clementine soap that was made and posted on the site - nice orangey smell - I don't know how old the soap was.
I've soaped with the SW choc and mixed with NCS choc/fudge and it still has the wondeful to die for smell. I think SW choc you want to eat out of the bottle, but found it was twice the price because you only get 15 ml in the smaller bottle.

Soaped the Egyptian musk last night and 'soap on a stick'... love the scent but hated working with it, suprisingly Green Tea is smelling more pleasant for me now and love the way it soaped...easy peasy, could be added to my favorites list :)

Back