sweating salt bars

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whisks

Reaction score
i made 20% superfatted 100% CO salt bars which have globules of liquid oozing out of them. same weight in salt as oils. comments please.

I can't remember the movie, but there was a fellow (cowboy) that I guess the Indians were not happy with, so they burred him up to his neck and put a canteen just out of his reach. When the other fellow comes along (who they have been having some ongoing rivalries through the movie) he asks him (and I loved this line) "Are you trying to get in or trying to get out?" Perhaps, a glass or wine or a few beers made that much funnier than it was, or perhaps it was the timing or delivery, but I nearly fell off the couch.

Are you sure the liquid is coming out of the bars or is it perhaps condensing onto the bars? How long have they been curing? What is the humidity of where they are? Does the liquid zap? Does the liquid feel greasy? Does it evaporate over the day?

There are only so many things it could be.
1. Excess water trying to escape in the curing process that is attracted back to the bar from the hygroscopic nature of the salt.
2. Excess water from the curing process that can't evaporate because the humidity of the room is too high.
3. Liberated glycerin not bound into the soap matrix.
4. Some portion of unsaponified fat (due to the superfatting) that is not bound into the soap matrix.
5. Some unsaponifiable substance that you used as an additive (fragrance or carrier wax such as jojoba etc)

Most of the times I have had liquids on my soaps I have just ignored them and in a day or so they "reincorporated" or evaporated. If the soap is curing it is actually shrinking to some extent and that may be forcing things of lower density "out." I turn my soaps while they are curing and I have never had any dripping from such things. I did have a molded log that simply "worked" too fast and created a pocket of lye water but that was a puddle not a droplet.

If it greasy feeling it is probably some of the superfatting though glycerin could feel like this too. It should reincorporate.

If it feels more like water, and it is probably zappy then it should evaporate, but if it is in high enough quantities it may "wilt" the soap where it is sitting on it. If it is not quite so zappy it may be lime water or washing soda (calcium carbonate) or (sodium carbonate) and when it evaporates it will leave a bit of ash behind.

If it bothers you blot it. Most times ignoring it will be fine. If it is excessive, then you may have done something wrong in your calculations, you may want to double check the numbers. You can try checking your humidity and possibly trying to increase the air flow around them.

---
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
The preceding comments are the "opinions" of the author alone. Although they are lucid, reasonable and well thought out; they do not represent those of anyone else including, but not limited to, the author's employers, employees, associates, assigns, the ownership or administration of this forum or any other. They are not meant to diagnose or treat any condition, medical or otherwise. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, any other government office, or civilian expert. Take them with a grain of salt and do not follow any recommendations which you do not fully understand and wholeheartedly agree with. The author takes no responsibility for the outcome of such actions. Your mileage may vary. No warranty expressed or implied. Serious injury or death may occur. Does not cover bear attack, shark bite or children under 5. :D

Absinthe said:
---
IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:
The preceding comments are the "opinions" of the author alone. Although they are lucid, reasonable and well thought out; they do not represent those of anyone else including, but not limited to, the author's employers, employees, associates, assigns, the ownership or administration of this forum or any other. They are not meant to diagnose or treat any condition, medical or otherwise. These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, any other government office, or civilian expert. Take them with a grain of salt and do not follow any recommendations which you do not fully understand and wholeheartedly agree with. The author takes no responsibility for the outcome of such actions. Your mileage may vary. No warranty expressed or implied. Serious injury or death may occur. Does not cover bear attack, shark bite or children under 5. :D

I suspect there is enough salt in them already ;)

I love that exemption, it is part of Pelican's "Lifetime Warranty" I think it is the same for their flashlights and cases. "Shark bite, bear attack and children under 5"... I always wanted to use that.

absinthe, thanks for your comprehensive explanation and disclaimer....(was this written under the influence of absinthe? sorry, i couldn't resist)....
i haven't tested for zappiness (i have a phobia since burning my tongue badly once)but the moisure is in beads and is not greasy, if anything, i suspect it is salty as it feels like a strong solution of salt if you asked me to describe it.
thanks again, and i'll rmember the pinch of salt.

Hmmm, now that you mention it I do have a bottle in the pantry calling my name.

So if it is not greasy it can still be glycerin or water. You are going to lose excess water as the bars cure. I would simply make sure they have good airflow and watch the humidity.

Are you noticing any changes as the time goes on? Are they growing, or shrinking? Are they becoming more plentiful? Are they only on top or all around? Are you rotating them and flipping them?

The salt in the "salt bars" attracts the moisture in the air, so if it's humid at the moment, the salt is drawing the moisture. Have you got a dehumidifier? Or, you could just put them in a box up the top of a cupboard or something?

I agree with Chrissy - probably moisture drawn out of the air by the salt.
Could also be FO oozing out from overheating, but that would start when the soap is brand spanking fresh.

Back