sweating and humidity problem Living in Maui

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayleyC

Reaction score
Hi New to making CP soaps but Im getting the hang of it and am nearly ready to sell. however I'm doing my trials in California and coming up with nice products. Is there a way that I can tweak the formula so that I come up with a Low Sweat product seeing as how I will be living in a tropical rainforest soon. If not I can always stick to MP :(
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks
[email protected]
Kayley C :D

MP sweats something shocking unless it's wrapped up.

I live in Melbourne which usually has a mild climate so I haven't experienced problems with humidity until a couple of weeks ago when we had weather which was unusually humid. So much so that all tiled surfaces were wet and the concrete outside looked like it had been hosed down. I have lots of soap airing on racks in one of the bedrooms. Nearly all of them were sweating to some degree, some worse than others. Even the castiles were sweating.

It's probably not an option for you but a dehumidifier would be ideal to keep the soap in a nice condition. My soap does well in the heat as long as the humidity is low. Yesterday was 40C and the soap was fine.

We have some members here from Far North Queensland so perhaps they will be able to give you some tips. :wink:

i live in florida and bought a dehumidifier this wk. the soaps ive had for months are twice as hard after being in a room w/ the dehumidifier for just a wk.

only 1 problem, i had planned to just put the soaps in a walking in closet and close it off. well i didnt think about the heat being produced by the machine. so ive had to keep the door open which is not a big deal b/c the unit is big enough for a room or 2.

these results were also gained by just using it intermittently and then shutting the door for hours.

good luck :)

In Louisiana, humidity is up pretty much all the time. I usually cut my soaps and keep them in my laundry room with a couple of fans blowing on them to circulate the air. I have them in cardboard boxes once the 4-6 week cure is finished. When I get into my little soap house (under construction right now), I'm going to spread those out onto more shelves and still keep fans going around them. I'm kind of worried about DOS, but have only had 3 bars (from 3 different batches). I have three rows of boxes on each shelf (one row on top of the other). I just think the air circulation keeps the DOS chances down.

What about that product, Damprid (it comes in hanging bags) you could probably keep that somewhere close to your curing soaps if you don't want a dehumidifier.

I made tons of soap this past summer and I'm fairly new at the cp/hp game...only since last April, and I had some trouble with DOS too. Of course it didn't show up right away...but I noticed it on bits and pieces I had left over from all my summer bars. Maybe it's the humidity since I live in FL? I've also been using regular vegetable oil in my recipe and I'm going to start soaping without it and see if that was the culprit. I've heard of cheap vegetable oils that were refined/processed at high temperatures being prone to rancidity earlier than others. Just a thought...but it's worth a try right? I hate DOS!

Latest posts

Back