surefire scents that everyone can enjoy :)

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd_198818

Reaction score
I have bought quite a few fragrance fo's and eo's. Only a few I can say I truly love. Among those so far are sensuous sandalwood, and morrocan mint from bramble, cucumber mint from bulk apothecary., rosemary eo... What are your favorites? Ones that everyone who smells them enjoys?

I have been making mostly unscented soaps and almost everyone I show them to imediately take a big old nasal huff. I tell them that it's unscented. They tell me they like lavender soaps. It's almost comical at this point.

People expect soap to smell good. I never realized this until I started making it and was not using fragrance at first until I knew what I was doing. I experienced the same thing with my unscented soaps. I would tell people they were unscented and they would put them up to their nose anyway and keep doing it every time. I would get so irritated. My mom kept doing it and I said to her, "Why do you keep smelling it?!" "I told you it has NO fragrance." She claimed the oils used in the soap had a smell that she was smelling over and over. I told her my shoe had a smell from the leather that it was made from and would she like to smell

My two favorite fragrances in CP soap are Coconut Lime Verbena by WSP and Black Vetyver Cafe by Daystar. They both stick very well and smell great to me. Hope this helps.

I love citrus blends and florals. I tend to use orange, lemon and grapefruit a lot, as well as ylang ylang, jasmine, lilac and gardenia. For FO's my faves are Energy and Manchurian Dragon.

I don't use FOs, but I've just made soap using cinnamon cassia, clove & sweet orange eo that I am crazy about. It is smelling up the entire house and everyone that comes over comments on how nice the house smells. People also do the same thing with my unscented soap. We as a society are conditioned to smell soap...lol!

Anything fruity or something green like NG Aloe Vera & Cucumber. On the opposite spectrum I think something like BB Mayan Gold is sensuous and I've had several friends request it.

Peppermint! I've met a lot of lavender and patchouli haters but never anyone who hates plain peppermint. Blend with equal parts eucalyptus and you have my best selling scent. Not everyone likes eucalyptus though so for broader appeal I would still suggest straight peppermint :)

Lemon basil and cinnamon clove are also popular with very few I-hate-it faces.

I think everyone loves Oatmeal Milk & Honey. When I get people that don't like floral or strong smelling soap I can hand the OMH & they always say they can deal with that. eucalyptus peppermint is a love it or hate it, but it is my best seller besides Loving Spell from NG. I don't do a lavender soap since we have 2 locals that specialize in lavender.

Had a guy this weekend his daughter was smelling different soaps & he had our business card in his hand & started smelling it. All your products are suppose to smell good, unscented is like speaking a foreign language.

Ha! Smelling the business card is a new one, at least to me!!

Nothing is universally liked but Paradise by Daystar seems close. Orange, Lime, and other fruits seem to go over easily. Cinnamon and apples, Black Canyon by Peak are also popular.

I am a minority. I HATE oatmeal, milk and honey scent. Smells like play-dough to me. Blech.

Wow, smelling your business card?!

I'm super sensitive to smells, walking down the detergents isle at the grocery store makes me sick, headache and nausea as does the essential oil isle of a health foods store.

I also have skin issues so I don't use any FOs. With EOs I like fruity, most mints, cinnamon, and vanilla.

I'm with your mum on this one

:crazy::crazy:[." She claimed the oils used in the soap had a smell that she was smelling over and over.
Unscented soap does have its own fragrance, the freshest. I love nothing more than to sit at my computer taking a whiff of my newest unscented soap after a week or 2. Heaven. Guess it reminds me of grandma's soap she use to make that makes me happy.
:clap:I do love scented ones too and my favourite being peppermint as well.

I use mostly EOs with some FO exceptions (almond, sandalwood, vanilla, coffee, neroli, yuzu, lilac, jasmine) which don't exist in EO form or are prohibitively expensive.

As mentioned earlier, it's hard to go wrong with citruses, mints, and comfort scents like cinnamon and lavender.

There are lots of popular FO dupes that I don't much like such as Green Irish Tweed, Vetiver Cafe, Pink Sugar, Lovespell, etc.

I'm also an outlier on BBs energy and Daystar's Paradise (they smell identical to me and smell like Joy dishwashing detergent).

Nearly everybody loves B&BW dupes like green clover & aloe, coconut lime verbena, and black raspberry vanilla. Pumpkin pie type scents are also very popular. I like Apple Jack & Peel.

I also enjoy the scent of unscented soap. Even if it's not scented with a fragrance, it still has a smell! I like it b/c it smells soapy but not harsh like Dial, etc.

I would say the ones that have near universal appeal are the green ones (love Green Tweed from Southern Garden) and spicy ones like Apple Jack and Peel. I've got an FO called "sexy man" that every one loves. Can't remember the supplier. And I'm almost out!

Just wanted to clarify, I wasn't knocking unscented. When I said unscented was a foreign language I meant customers don't get unscented. Almost all customers treat soap in the same as candles. They even like to smell my lip balm. I have never been to Walmart & sniffed lip balm!

I use a plumeria by California Candle Supply that both men an women love. It ia one that smells just like the flower, not pungent plastic smelling. Cool Water by NG is another I find both like and Vanilla Sandalwood by Soapalooza is a complete winner. I have tried vanilla sandalwood by most of the other suppliers and Kellie's Vanilla Sandalwood beats them hands down. Salty Air by Soap Soaplies.net is a nice ocean fo. It is one I aslo mix in a little litsea just to add a hint of citrus in the air. Out of these my top love this the Vanilla Sandalwood. Just a note if anyone purchased it after Southern Soapers was sold it is not the same as this Vanilla Sandalwood, available at soapalooza.com although it was sold as being exact.

So far around here EVERYONE either likes or loves BB's energy. To me its a mix of citruses. I smell mostly tangerine, orange, and grapefruit and it smells sweet (if sweet can be a scent) also BB's herbal essence dupe. It's floral but without smelling like perfume and I think it can even be masculine. It just smells clean and it's been a big hit with the friends and family.

Then you haven't lived!

But is it handy to have some unscented for those with allergies or skin issues?

I am in a small community & do maybe 200lb of soap a yr at most & I have only been soaping 5 yrs. I do have a small amount of unscented, I myself am an asthma & allergy sufferer. When I am short on space the unscented lotion bars & soap would be the first thing I leave off my table. I know each market is different, as you can tell by all the answers above! I am sure there are some who have unscented as a best seller.

Back