Sunscreen

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd advise against it. Sunscreen is classified as a drug and you'd have to undergo all sorts of expensive testing to market it. I would also be concerned about liability if it doesn't work as anticipated.

I make my own sunscreen with zinc oxide. You can also add a bit of titanium dioxide. Zinc oxide can be mixed with homemade bases, or with storebought lotions. Sometimes groups like boy and girl scouts will do projects with bringing in lotion and turning it into sunscreen with zinc oxide.

So late to this thread. I can't use anything commercial on my face at all, not even the super expensive, all-naturally labeled, great-sounding stuff. Gonna try adding zinc oxide to the facial moisturizer I make. The formula I make is Kassy's C-serum, if anyone's familiar with that. Will use oils that don't cause sun sensitivity, and experiment. I wouldn't think of selling this, just for me. What kinds of experiences have y'all had with DIY?

Related, I have a little white kitty who had white eartips that were mostly bald. We're out in the country and on acreage she's safe on, she adores being outside, and despite all the well-meaning advice about keeping kitties inside, she would just die if she were confined inside, and I won't do that to her. She developed, as expected, sun-induced lesions on her eartips, and vets and I decided to be proactive and have her eartips removed. Regardless, they suggest sunscreen on her ears. She'll lick it off, as she always does. I'm loath to use sunscreen full of chemicals on her. I know how much cats are sensitive to ingredients, notably EOs, wouldn't think of using those. Feeling totally stuck, thinking I might try researching edible carrier oils for cats, and adding zinc oxide. Totally bad idea? Maybe a little bonnet? :D

ETA: Sounds like zinc oxide is poisonous to cats, I won't be trying that :(

Related, I have a little white kitty who had white eartips that were mostly bald. We're out in the country and on acreage she's safe on, she adores being outside, and despite all the well-meaning advice about keeping kitties inside, she would just die if she were confined inside, and I won't do that to her. She developed, as expected, sun-induced lesions on her eartips, and vets and I decided to be proactive and have her eartips removed. Regardless, they suggest sunscreen on her ears. She'll lick it off, as she always does. I'm loath to use sunscreen full of chemicals on her. I know how much cats are sensitive to ingredients, notably EOs, wouldn't think of using those. Feeling totally stuck, thinking I might try researching edible carrier oils for cats, and adding zinc oxide. Totally bad idea? Maybe a little bonnet? :D

ETA: Sounds like zinc oxide is poisonous to cats, I won't be trying that :(

My first thought was to put a thick coat of paint on her ears! :Kitten Love:

I would recommend titanium dioxide which is very effective in sunscreen, however, it should be tested before selling to customers.:)

Does anyone know % to add? I'm now in the same boat of having to "coat" my boyfriend who is developing vitiligo and hates using commercial products. He will use what he calls my coco puffs lotion, coffee scented Brazil nut body whip. I want to add titanium dioxide or zinc but need to know how much to hit @ SPF 15 ish. No reason to test if it's never leaving my house!

Does anyone know % to add? I'm now in the same boat of having to "coat" my boyfriend who is developing vitiligo and hates using commercial products. He will use what he calls my coco puffs lotion, coffee scented Brazil nut body whip. I want to add titanium dioxide or zinc but need to know how much to hit @ SPF 15 ish. No reason to test if it's never leaving my house!

i found this lil info here: spf table

i found the same table on 2 sites. i have no clue about its source or whatever though.

Thanks seven, that is very useful. I'm in Hawaii and my cat is outside almost all the time - she'd climb the walls and rip the screens if I kept her in my tiny studio. Fortunately the garden is shady though and she doesn't stray far....

The problem is I do not get it. Is that percentage and what percentage ?
Lets say 50 grams of finished lotion, with spf >20 would required ten grams over 5o or maybe 100 g lotion including 20 g zinc?
Can anyone explain it to dummy old woman , please?

Dahlia, are you using zinc or TD?

the instructables website has an example on rates of usage. but let's say your 50g of finished lotion, and you want >20SPF, using non-micronized zinc, you put in 12.5g of zinc (50g * 25%). does that make sense?

I make lotion bars with ZO and TD for myself and family, at about 20-30 spf. Neeners' calculations are correct for over 20spf coverage, and the ZO/TD combo is terrific and works very well. I use non-micronized ZO, as there are some questions about safety with micronized. I have toyed with the idea of having my recipe tested for SPF effectiveness, but it is cost prohibitive for me and opens you up to additional liability, insurance costs, etc.

Let me tell you though, working with the ZO is beastly, it is very tough to dissolve to a point where it is usable (at least overnight with a carrier oil for mine) and it's a clean up nightmare! You will have white oily goo on everything that touches it. Well worth it though once a year to make about 24 .60 oz lotion bars for me and my family, as so many sunscreens are pretty toxic.

Also, it still goes on a little white (which made my daughter gasp in horror), but rubs on clear as easily as any lotion.

Here's a great site on SPFs http://www.ewg.org/2014sunscreen

Have you considered the natural SPF that many carrier oils provide? I have a friend who's vegan and very into the use of EO's and her homemade body products. She makes an all natural sunscreen she uses on her kids (2ys & 6 mos) that she swears by. She lives in Las Vegas so deals with harsh sun and heat. I know it's a combination of the oils listed below but I don't know her recipe. I have no idea how effective it is for various UV rays or if it would work for everyone as I haven't tried it. But I found this info that may be helpful on:
http://www.naturaltherapypages.com.au/article/carrier_oils_and_spf

The table of oils with SPF values:

Carrier Oil SPF Value
Red Raspberry Seed 28 – 50
Carrot Seed Oil 38 - 40
Wheatgerm
Soybean
Macadamia Nut
Jojoba
Sesame Seed Oil
2 - 4
Shea Butter
3 - 6
Coconut
2 - 8
Olive
2 - 8
Avocado (unrefined)
4 - 15
Castor Oil
Almond Oil 5

Unfortunately boyfriend has vitiligo and seems to be killing off melanocytes by the 1000 daily to the point he's got circles of white patches in his beard hair. I'm type 1 skin so I'm equally neurotic about skin cancer. I glow in the dark. :(

Unfortunately boyfriend has vitiligo and seems to be killing off melanocytes by the 1000 daily to the point he's got circles of white patches in his beard hair. I'm type 1 skin so I'm equally neurotic about skin cancer. I glow in the dark. :(

You could consider adding Red Raspberry Seed oil or Carrot Seed oil to your "Coco Puffs Lotion" and see if that works for you both. I use carrot seed in my "anti-wrinkle face cream" I make for my mom, sisters and me. Works great as a sunscreen and after sun lotion. The problem for me is how much I HATE the smell! I have to mask it with rose, lavender and grapefruit. I only use about 8 drops in 8 oz cream so it doesn't take much. I'm certainly no EO expert so take this as you will.

Dahlia, are you using zinc or TD?

the instructables website has an example on rates of usage. but let's say your 50g of finished lotion, and you want >20SPF, using non-micronized zinc, you put in 12.5g of zinc (50g * 25%). does that make sense?

I have boths and non micronized zinc, thank you somehow I had not get it:))
Commercial sunscreen are causing major breakouts for me, and the same time i have condition called Actinic Keratosis and I must have sunblock.
I am toying with the idea, even swift monkey is so much against it on her blog...

Agreed, I agree with her totally but if dingdong man won't listen I am going to sneak it in on him!

Latest posts

Back