Sunflower oil in soap recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stellagirl

Reaction score
Hi all, kinda new here and to soap making. Today I tried the "ROOM TEMPERATURE" process using the following recipe....is it gonna work or should I rebatch now?
9.99 oz coconut oil
9.99 oz palm oil
30 oz sunflower oil infused w calendula
18 oz water
6.91 oz lye
Added calendula petals, ground oatmeal,Honey, vitamin e
Any comments.
I peeked and the whole think is gel.
Thanks for any help and/or suggestions.

Last edited:
If your soap came to true trace, I don't see why it won't work. Were your oils liquid when you added the lye water?
The numbers for your recipe are:
Hardess 32
Cleansing 14
Conditioning 64
Bubbly 14
Creamy 19
The INS number is low and the iodine number is high, so you may have a soft bar. The lather numbers are not really high either.

My suggestion isto let it set in the mold a couple of days and then unmold and cut.

All the oils were liquid and reached trace. Okay I'll check it in a couple days. Thanks for your comment, makes me feel better. Still not sure how to make the best of the soap calculator...but I tried!
Thanks again!

I have now....Thanks.
Just seems like a lot for this old mind to take in. lol

I have now....Thanks.
Just seems like a lot for this old mind to take in. lol

It's easy to use and helps prevent wasted batches/$$$ by taking much of the guess work out, plus the soaps you make will be safer for you, your family and friends. It's worth a little time to learn how to use it and it lets you save/print your recipes to use again or improve upon. I love how it scores soap by hardness, creaminess, cleaning ability, conditioning, etc. if one number is low you can improve your recipe by tweaking the amounts of various oils or substituting new ones.

I unmolded it this morning...looks very nice...but really really soft.
Should I just wait and see if it gets harder or any suggestions?
Thanks

Just let it be for a day or two...with 60% soft oil (Sunflower), its gonna take a little while. This will probably be softer anyway, but usable! :)

Sunflower oil is nice from my experience but it can be very soft in soap.

Still really soft...looks beautiful, but I don't think it would really be useable.
Gonna try to rebatch it...never tried it...but I'll give it a shot, any suggestions as to what I can add to it?
Thanks

How soft? Like cream cheese?
Some soap has to stay in the mold for a week before its hard enough to remove, especially with full water and mostly soft oils. You could try to grate it up (or if its too soft, just cut it up really small) and add it to a fresh batch of mostly coconut oil soap batter.

I think I will try the coconut oil rebatch.....thanks so much!
You guys are great! :clap:

Well, I cut it this morning, still soft, I guess I'll give it awhile and see what happens...looks good!
Hope it works good!
Thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll be back!:crazy:

Latest posts

Back