Suggestions for using up hemp oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowbell

Reaction score
So a friend of mine who's a rep for a hemp oil company asked if I wanted any hemp seed oil and if I could use it. I said I'd take a bottle. Apparently lines got crossed and I received a case and a half of oil that I usually don't use. I know hemp is prone to DOS. Any ideas on how to use this up? I currently have 3L in the fridge and put the rest in the freezer. The oil is very dark green. I have used in the past at 5%. Thanks in advance.

Well, I do have to say that using in small percentages seems the wisest to prevent DOS in your recipes that require a long cure.

Also make sure to add ROE to each bottle as you open them. I always label my bottles with the date and amount of ROE added so I know it's done as well as how long the bottle has been exposed to extra air for oxidation.

You can also cook with Hemp Oil, so if you currently use an oil for cooking, maybe set aside a bottle for cooking (but don't add ROE to that bottle).

Experientially, I can tell you that 100% hemp oil soap turned DOSy very fast for me, so I would not even suggest making soap with a high percentage of hemp, and I even added the ROE and EDTA, and it still happened.

I put ROE in my Hemp oil when I open/get it. I have used it at 15% in soap with no DOS issue. I also make a CBD balm with it and have not had an issue though the person I make it for does keep it in the fridge.

I love hemp seed oil as a face & body oil, though you may need a EO/FO to help neutralize the scent. It's light & soaks into the skin quickly. One of my favorites, actually.

I have used it at 20% before. The Soap is still fine. Added citric acid at 1% and calculated the lye amount using DeeAnna’s calculation. It was made in July. Just a simple of recipe of Palmolein, PKO, Shea and Hempseed oil. Love the oil in creams and body butter. I am totally jealous.

Thank you everyone! Just ordered ROE should be here next week. From what I've read to anywhere between 17%-24% is safe before DOS. So I like the 20%. I have never used it for cooking, I know it can be used, but I don't think I'll be cooking with it anytime soon. Looked into make lotions, don't think I'm there yet. I'm probably overthinking it. Maybe I'll order a kit (or put it on my Christmas list) and start in the new year.

I really like the flavor of hemp oil so I use it on salads or for grilling veggies. For soap, I've used it at 10% in my kelp and hemp salt bars. I also use it on my face and hair.

Agree, it would be very healthy to cook with it - in fact I just read that it should not be heated above 160 F, so it would go more in salads (?). It's coming from a plant known as a vegetable source of proteins.
And it is a wonderful oil for skin. I put it in lip balms as moisturizer and in my face creams; it is non comedogenic, emollient, rich in protein, polyunsaturated fatty acids, omega 6, omega 3; is one of my favorites. You can very easily create an anhidrous cream with some beeswax and 1-2 more oils for helping with dry skin in winter or cracked heels, just a suggestion.
I would use it in more products and in soap but it is a bit more expensive. Now that I read it causes DOS, no soap with hemp oil.
I hope you will find a good use for that :)

Found this recipe in my files:

HEMP SHAMPOO BAR 5/14/10
Makes 5 round bars, 5 oz.

Ingredients: Water, Lard, Coconut Oil, Hemp Oil, Castor Oil, Fullers Earth, CoQ10, Vitamin E, ROE, Blue Colorant, Fragrance.

6 oz. Water (33%)
2.5 oz. 62 g NaOH (3%)

8 oz. Lard 44.4%
5 oz. Coconut Oil 27.8%
3.5 oz. Hemp Oil 19.5%
1.5 oz. Castor Oil 8.3%
18 oz. TOTAL 100%

ADD to oils before adding lye:

1/2 tsp. ROE
1 capsule vitamin E
1 capsule CoQ10
1 Tbls. Fullers Earth
1 toothpick Blue Colorant
0.5 oz. Fragrance

ETA: Be sure to run this and all recipes through a lye calc. before soaping. :thumbup:

Found this recipe in my files:

HEMP SHAMPOO BAR 5/14/10
Makes 5 round bars, 5 oz.

Ingredients: Water, Lard, Coconut Oil, Hemp Oil, Castor Oil, Fullers Earth, CoQ10, Vitamin E, ROE, Blue Colorant, Fragrance.

6 oz. Water (33%)
2.5 oz. 62 g NaOH (3%)

8 oz. Lard 44.4%
5 oz. Coconut Oil 27.8%
3.5 oz. Hemp Oil 19.5%
1.5 oz. Castor Oil 8.3%
18 oz. TOTAL 100%

1/2 tsp. ROE
1 capsule vitamin E
1 capsule CoQ10
1 Tbls. Fullers Earth
0.5 oz. Fragrance

ETA: Be sure to run this and all recipes through a lye calc. before soaping. :thumbup:

Thank you for taking the time to type this out. I took you suggestion of adding CoQ10 and vitamin E. I split the water portion with ACV. No colourant or ROE (not here yet and needed to put everything away for Christmas). So far it currently curing. First impression is the soap is very hard, (puts my four week ones to same) and lots of soap ash.

1/2 tsp. ROE
1 capsule vitamin E
1 capsule CoQ10
1 Tbls. Fullers Earth
0.5 oz. Fragrance

According to my notes, ROE should be used at 0.02% - 0.1% PPO (assuming Carnosic Acid Content: 7%).

So for 18oz/510~g of oils in this recipe, the amount of ROE to add would be 0.1g - 0.5g.

Using too much ROE can actually have the opposite effect and cause DOS to develop quicker!

According to my notes, ROE should be used at 0.02% - 0.1% PPO (assuming Carnosic Acid Content: 7%). So for 18oz/510~g of oils in this recipe, the amount of ROE to add would be 0.1g - 0.5g. Using too much ROE can actually have the opposite effect and cause DOS to develop quicker!

Good catch, Toxi! Sometimes I forget I'm on SMF. :mrgreen: Soapers who know me, know when I buy ROE, I mix 2 oz. Rosemary Oleoresin Extract with 4 oz. Jojoba Oil to make it easier to work with and to extend shelf life. Use rate: 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon PPO. I've been doing that since 2004 and have never had DOS.

If I could edit that post it would say: "ROE - Q.S. according to supplier's recommendations."

Thank you for taking the time to type this out. ... First impression is the soap is very hard, (puts my four week ones to same) and lots of soap ash.
You're very welcome, Snowbell! I'm sorry to hear about the ash... there are so many reasons that can happen... that's another problem I don't have to deal with... maybe due to Colorado's dry climate? Not sure. In any case, it's easy to correct by washing the bars (or spritzing with alcohol) when they're hard enough to handle without denting if you drop one.

Hopefully, after a little research you'll be able to figure it out?

Latest posts

Back