Sudsing Agent for liquid soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

epowers777

Reaction score
While I am waiting for my potassium hydroxide I want to ask a question. I am making a castile liquid soap and was wondering what a good Sudsing agent would be. I do not want to use coconut oil. I have been looking around but haven't found one. It needs to be easy on skin. And I don't want to use glycerin soap either.
Thanks

I'm not sure what you mean. If you are doing a castile do you mean a 100% olive oil soap? Or are you adding other oils to the mix as well and are asking which oils would contribute to lather?

Pretty much 100% olive oil. I'm making a soap for dogs and people want lots of suds. I'm looking for something that won't make them itch.

epowers777 said:
Pretty much 100% olive oil. I'm making a soap for dogs and people want lots of suds. I'm looking for something that won't make them itch.

You can make any liquid soap that wont make them itch! I make a 100% castile liquid baby soap...and it suds but not crazy suds! The less you dilute the more suds you will have but with 100% castile liquid you have issues with gelling at a high concentration...I have tried it! LOL! Good luck...Liquid soap is a different animal!

Keep in mind that a dog's skin may be sensitive to the naturally high pH of soap.

I'm still not sure what you are looking for, though. do you want to know what other oils to add to the olive oil when you soap so that you have higher lather? Or for some other agent that will boost the lather?

People always "want," and it helps to explain to them that this soap is handmade, without a lot of the chemicals that traditional detergents have. Just because it doesn't have a lot of bubbles doesn't mean it's not working.

I'm with carebear, be sure you do your research before handing out dog products, their skin isn't the same as ours.

tasha said:
People always "want," and it helps to explain to them that this soap is handmade, without a lot of the chemicals that traditional detergents have. Just because it doesn't have a lot of bubbles doesn't mean it's not working.

I'm with carebear, be sure you do your research before handing out dog products, their skin isn't the same as ours.

Well said.

Agree with Carebear also. Be careful with using products on dogs.

I totally agree. I have 3 ginny pigs at home and there very sensitive to everything! Shitzus ! They love the 100% castile soap. I have spent hundreds on dog soap and decided to make my own. My book recommends to use borax to lower ph. I will try that.
Yes please tell me what oils lather good. I can't use coconut on dogs or glycerin. (Drys there coats)
Thanks

What book is that? Borax won't lower the pH by much - what pH are you aiming for?
Coconut oil, in and of itself, does not make a drying soap - or rather it's just part of the mix. And glycerin is not drying.

It's a liquid soap book. I'm still learning the whole soap stuff. I will read it and post back.

Ditto the Castor oil.

And I know you didn't ask but if you are considering adding EO's and FO's do some research and use sparingly. In fact I'd say avoid FO's altogether. Remember their noses are many times more powerful than ours and they will likely lick their fur. If the soap is too perfumy many dogs will go right out and roll in the dirt to get rid of it.

And remember if you add another oils it is not castile. Castile soap is 100% olive oil period. No other oils added. Really, do some more research especially if you are going to sell this.

Nice point on the scents. My dog rolls like that but she's learning dirty no sleep on bed!

I have done many months of research and yes I know castile soap is 100% olive oil. I hope you weren't being rude cause I don't like rude people. If not thanks for the information!
The reason for this post is to see what other soaps have done.

The reason I cant use coconut oil or glycerin is because it is not good for dogs skin. A lot of humans soap has that added that's y majority of dogs scratch really bad after a bath.

I didn't see anyone being rude - just some very sound advice.

I was unaware that coconut oil soap or glycerin were bad for dogs' skin - when I did my research in the past ( and decided not to pursue that line) I found that most "organic" and "natural" dog soaps are made with coconut oil. In fact, I don't recall coming across a single one that wasn't. (but admittedly, my memory isn't what it used to be). In thinking about the way soap is made, it doesn't make sense TO ME that a single oil, unless a pet or a person is sensitive to other components of it, would be problematic since the fatty acids in coconut oil (and thus, which saponify) are found in pretty much all oils tho in different proportions.

Latest posts

Back