Struggling with a name! ):

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyMadison

Reaction score
I'm really struggling with a name for my business. ): When I first began, I was Simply Bliss Weddings and Favors (I'm an ex wedding planner - too stressful). Then, I was Simply Bliss Body Care and Favors. Those were both just legal changes and I always went by Simply Bliss. I only made candles and center pieces for sale. Now, I've completely rebranded and I'm mainly Cosmetics. Simply Bliss just doesn't sit right with what my brand is anymore, and to be frank, I've never really been in love with the name. How did you go about naming your business?

Since I'm now cosmetics focused, I've changed my company's guiding principles. The mission statement reads, "To provide safe, affordable, paraben-free home and beauty care items, while educating women in cosmetic trends, make up artistry, and positive mindset." My brand does a little more than provide nice smelling shampoo and pretty eyeshadow! I also work on a blog and hair and make up video tutorials, both of which promote my products. What better way to market other than use, right?

I've really worked hard to get down to the very fundamental personality of my brand, and I'm in love with what I've created. I convay casual luxury and sophistication to real women to help them create a better tomorrow for themselves. I'm sure this sounds like a lot, and you're probably thinking to yourself "How is soap going to help create a better tomorrow?" But, it's so much more than soap. It's the gentleness of the products, the time taken to handcraft, hand write, and hand make every single thing. It's the education and wisdom I've learned from so many incredible teachers about life, how you take care of yourself, how you love yourself, relationships, and how all of those interconnect. I'm really struggling to put that into a few syllables. My favorite names are names that don't actually mean anything like Sephora and Ulta.

Can't be of help on choosing a name, buy just want to say Sephora actually means "bird" in old Hebrew. It came from Zipporah and is an uncommon girl's name.

Really? That's actually pretty neat that you know that and has me semi inspired to go find more uncommon names. I think I like that it's meaningless to the common passer-by. I would have never known that, but I'm sure the founders do. Thanks for your comments!

Does your name have to convey your mission? Some of the biggest brand names out there say nothing about the company or products. Well they didn't use to, but now those words are almost adjectives. The company changed the meaning of the word rather than being defined by it. Apple hardly ever means the fruit these days and what the hell is a Google?

When I chose my company name I wanted it to reflect where I live which is on the Malaspina Strait in the Salish Sea (aka Georgia Strait). In some ways it has worked really well for me and after almost 4 years in business the branding has really worked well - in. my. area. I think if I were to do it over again I would choose a name that stands out and sticks to people's mind, if you know what I mean. Take a look at the successful businesses, look at what they have named themselves and then see if there is a name that you can relate closely with. You know how to do the rest....

here is one to make you laugh
for years I have played a game where I am the "Dragon Queen" it is a thing that has stuck so people that know me from gaming call me DQ or Queen and I went with it for a name. Dragon Queen Holistics and Soaps

I love the mission of your products as many people today are looking to improve their lives by getting away from all the gross products found on the market today

DQ I love that story! I had a talent agency back in the late 80's and I was known as the Dragon Lady because my talent knew what would happen if they failed to show up for an audition or booking (actors & extras).... :lol:

Thanks for the the replies guys!

I've literally been in my room/office for the past week doing nothing but thinking about this. I have Christmas sample baskets i have to get done and I finally made some progress! It'll all started with these people: http://www.plumdiore.com/
I loved the name, the colors, the feel of everything. They've gone out of business but their brand has still stuck with me. I've kept them, as well as Apple, a health company I work with, and oddly enough, my boyfriend in mind while I designed my brand.

I was thinking something along the lines of Diva Dynasty.
A dynasty is defined as 1. A line of hereditary rulers of a country: "the Tang dynasty". 2. A succession of people from the same family who play a prominent role in a certain field.
I think the second definition is really fitting for what I'm trying to accomplish.

Latest posts

Back