stress over soaping

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meeplesoap

Reaction score
Lately as we've been moving into production mode, my fear of lye burns is increasing exponentially. I'm soaping more at night and early morning before my "normal job." I know when I soap tired, I am more liable to make mistakes so I am making sure to get a good night's sleep and skip soaping if I feel like I need to rush through it.

All I can think of is "I only make five pounds a day now. How am I going to handle 10, 15, 20?" My head is filled with images of my cat accidentally drinking the lye water or something if I got distracted.

To assuage my fears, we got some silicone pot covers we can put over all my potentially dangerous soapy dishes (the ones with a small vent, for preventing pot boil-over). I already wear long pants, shoes, long sleeves and heavy moisturizer on my face and hands under my gloves/mask/goggles. I keep a vinegar/water bath nearby to dip all my utensils in before they get washed (by my hubs, also wearing gloves.) In other words, we try to be as safe as we can, but it still freaks me out a little (okay, a lot).

My husband feels it's the stress of trying to hold down the household, work my day job (very stressful) and this new venture. I can't afford to leave my job and soap full time as of now, though that's my hope for the future. I am looking for advice for anybody who may have gone through the same stage I am now - where it looks like an impossible climb!

I understand where you are coming from and will say that organization and planning is everything! I have come to learn that where you place everything makes a big difference in production. I have 2 toddlers and a dog and I only soap when they are sleep and I put my dog away during production. Cats have their own way of doing things and you may have to place your cat in a different room while you are producing to be cautious. Create a production plan and stick to it. You can also pre-make your lye water ahead of time and store it in bottles (the bottles MUST be HDPE) like the bleach bottles that are resistant to high heat. You can keep it in a storage room that is not accessible to children if you have any. A lot of soap makers pre make their lye solutions to save time. Heres an article on how to: http://candleandsoap.about.com/b/2011/03/04/using-premade-liquid-lye-solutions.htm

Don't be afraid of your success and stay clear of naysayers! Create a Work and Schedule everything according to when you can give soaping 100% of your time and NEVER soap when you are angry! I learned the hard way and boy did I learn a valuable lesson! Organization and planning is king in production. I hope this helps. :razz:

Just a guess here, so if it doesn't fit for you and your situation, that's fine....

If your fear is becoming overwhelming without a clear reason, it can be your body's way of trying to tell you something really important in the only way it can get through. The message may not be specifically connected to the specific issue of working with lye, although I would guess it might well have to do with your soap making business plans and integrating them successfully into the rest of your life.

Sometimes a person can get too rigid and mentally focused on a goal. At those times, it is very, very easy to ignore the messages the body needs to send. It ~WILL~ find a way to communicate -- unreasoning fear, physical problems, sleep disturbances, etc. The solution is to not become even more mentally rigid and focused, but to take a breath, lighten up, and relax.

Yes, easier said than done, but necessary. Allow the body to tell you what it needs to say.

I'm getting a flavor from your words that you might be getting yourself into the "I should, I ought, I must" mode. You may need to back off a bit and give yourself permission to allow your underlying feelings to surface. Maybe there is something you can do differently to accomplish your goals in a way that works better for you. I have learned the hard way that a person must heed the needs of her body and emotions to find the best way.

Like I said, just a guess and YMMV.

After thinking on it and all you guys have said, we are still going ahead with our business, however we're going to add waxes, lotions, and salves to our line as it'll give us another form of income that doesn't involve lye (i.e. spreads the product line thinner, but I can make 3-4 types of soap instead of 10-12 because I'll have other products to offer.)

Thus far I've felt much better about it. I am fine making 450 tubs of lotion; not so much 450 pounds of soap a month. Call me weird :)

I have cats as well, I know your fear of lye and kittehs.

Can you, when you soap, block them out of your soap factory? We use baby gates stacked and a room divider on both of our entrances, we wear shoes that don't leave the area and a clean spot to take them off or put them back on when we leave and exit. We mop the entire place with soap, lots of water and vinegar for safety before we even think about letting them back in. So far, no problems.

I do spray the floor with a solution of phenolphthalein and water and look for pink before I mop it all up. I've caught some random spots occasionally. But, I agree, that scares the bejesus out of me. Even though, we do all our soaping on the weekends at once (25lbs...ish depending). Makes for a long day, but... worth it for us in the clean up aspect.

I agree with DeeAnna, cut your self some slack. It will all work out :).

Latest posts

Back