Storing you soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielle22033

Reaction score
I was wondering how you store your soap after it is done curing. HP and CP. I currently let my soap sit out for 4 weeks and then put them in rubber made containers. I am really not liking it, I don't like idea of moisture being able to stay in, if there happened to be any left. However I want to be able to keep the fragrance in. I was thinking of buying the cardboard gift/shoe boxes from the dollar store.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

I've had no moisture problems at all with those containers. Have you? I don't think cardboard would be adequate to preserve scent.

Since fragrance is one of the most expensive and important aspects of my soap, I won't chance it.

I haven't made enough soap to even get to the storing of it yet, but could you individually wrap each one in a sandwich bag and then store them in plastic containers, or is that not good, or taking it to far?

I have ones that have sat for 5- 6 weeks in open air, now in reused shoe boxes that are propped open a bit and also plastic bins the same size, with the lid not fully secure.
Gives them a little air flow but not too much.
Not sure if this is good or not but planning to check on them in the next few weeks to see how they do.

I've been storing soap for years (since '99) and found out the hard way how not to store it. That was by having a lot of soap lose its scent. And once that happens, it's not very useful to me, since I sell, and I sell on scent.
I wouldn't, personally, use cardboard or any kind or Ziploc bags. Ziploc bags will not hold in scent.
Plastic Rubbermaid type containers will hold in scent also cello (or polypropylene - not polyethylene, which is what a Ziploc bag is) works nicely.
Crazy8, there shouldn't be any need to wrap in a Ziploc before placing in a plastic container. As long as each separate scent has its own plastic container or cello bag.

I have ones like this. It's ok then to close them in all the way sealed? Do u need to wait a certain amount of time first for moisture?
Do they continue to shrink down and cure when sealed? Just want to make sure I know when it's ok so I don't seal fully too early.
TIA!

image.jpg

Jeneelk,

Yes, that's what I mean. I store mine after 4 weeks of curing. They do continue to cure and lose water during storage, but you should have no moisture issues in storage.

At least, I don't. It may depend on your recipe. I discount my water a bit (33% lye solution).

I have ones like this. It's ok then to close them in all the way sealed? Do u need to wait a certain amount of time first for moisture?
Do they continue to shrink down and cure when sealed? Just want to make sure I know when it's ok so I don't seal fully too early.
TIA!

These are exactly what I have also. And I guess I do open them frequently enough for sales and such so it can't be that bad. Thank you everyone for all the wonderful advice.

TIA!

Jenneelk, do you give them a little space between each bar once you store them in the plastic containers, or do you squish them all up against each other at that point?

I was just wondering. Thought Id chime in another question to add on to yours Danielle. What about silica packs? Ya know, the ones you find in shoe boxes, or even those Chinese fried peas snack packs. I know their meant to draw out moisture, and obviously some of them are food safe. Has anyone ever tried this before? I'm really curious to know :)

I recently just threw one in with my homemade pepper powder. The one I am using is one of those small cylinder types. I found it in my prescriptions and thought "Oh yeah I have been wanting one of these to throw into the powder to keep it from clumping." Might be worth a try but I wonder something though. I know we are talking about a small silica packets and I guess I'm not aware of their full power, but A. would you need or want more than one packet considering how much moisture would be in a box of soap and B. is it possible to draw out to much moisture to the point of it maybe not being good for the soap in some way? Im not sure of either of these scenarios but just thought I would throw it out for thought.

I've been storing soap for years (since '99) and found out the hard way how not to store it. That was by having a lot of soap lose its scent. And once that happens, it's not very useful to me, since I sell, and I sell on scent.
I wouldn't, personally, use cardboard or any kind or Ziploc bags. Ziploc bags will not hold in scent.
Plastic Rubbermaid type containers will hold in scent also cello (or polypropylene - not polyethylene, which is what a Ziploc bag is) works nicely.
Crazy8, there shouldn't be any need to wrap in a Ziploc before placing in a plastic container. As long as each separate scent has its own plastic container or cello bag.

Seems like I need to buy more plastic containers so I can keep my scents separate:-|

Back