Sticky CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nick0789

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've been a lurker for some time on this forum, but just now finally got an account.

I've got a quick question about my CP soap that is leaving a sticky feeling on my hands. It's the standard CP process; I wrapped it pretty well in its mold and saw it at the full-gel stage.

Here is my recipe for a 4 lb batch, 4% superfat:

35% water of oil weight (22.4 oz)
lye (9.184 oz)
coconut oil (21.76 oz; 34%)
palm oil (11.52 oz; 18%)
olive oil (12.8 oz; 20%)
shea butter (8.96 oz; 14%)
sunflower oil (8.96 oz; 14%)
a tiny bit of vitamin E oil

Do you recommend dropping / raising any of the percentages of oils? Suggest replacement oils?

Thanks in advance!

I would drop the Coconut to 25% at the very most. I like 20%. I would also up the Olive Oil and maybe the Palm a bit more 20%. Just run the differences through soap calc until you like the numbers. Your cleansing is pretty high (24) especially with only a 4% superfat.I also like my conditioning number to be higher. I would also add some Castor or Sugar for bubbles. Also, your soap will get better with age. I would cure it at least 4 weeks then try it again.

I would try 31% OO, 20% CO, 20% Palm, 14% Shea and 15% Sunflower. If you have Castor Oil I would add 5% and subtract that from the Sunflower.

I've actually used sugar in one of my two batches with this recipe in the form of goat's milk and have some nice bubbles. I noticed it felt more creamy than the water-based batch, but I just still can't get over the tacky-feeling residue. It has been aging for just over two weeks now, so we'll see how it feels in a few more weeks.

Thanks for the suggestions!

If its only been curing for 2 weeks, you definitely want to wait at least 2 weeks more to evaluate it, and more likely 4-6 weeks more. Soap gets a LOT better after a good cure.

Absolutely let it cure longer. It makes a big difference. Then try it again. I cure all my soaps 4-6 weeks. Longer and they are even better in my opinion. Don't give up on yours yet.

I would also drop coconut oil to maybe 20-25% as it's very cleansing and up palm or olive oil instead. I think otherwise recipe looks fine. Two weeks is a really short cure time, give it another two and it should feel much better. I like to cure my soaps for a veeery long time :) We just finished using few bars that are almost year old and they were fantastic.

I think the tacky feeling you are describing is normal for cp soap. After a while you get used to it and no longer notice it.

If its only been curing for 2 weeks, you definitely want to wait at least 2 weeks more to evaluate it, and more likely 4-6 weeks more. Soap gets a LOT better after a good cure.

I think the tacky feeling you are describing is normal for cp soap. After a while you get used to it and no longer notice it.

I've used somewhat-similar recipes in the past, but still got the tacky feeling. I checked one of my bars from a batch I made in May and it also left me a slightly tacky feeling.
I just wasn't sure if it was normal to have a slight-tack, or I had been messing up something all this time.

Thanks for the feedback!

I, too, would wait until it has cured for at least 4 to 6 weeks before deciding to change anything formula-wise. It could turn out to be a soap that you absolutely love 'as is', but 2 weeks is too early to make any such decisions yet. Waiting just a wee bit longer will give all the micro chemical changes that are taking place within the soap matrix a chance to work their magic.

As for the sticky after-feel- as with Samirish, I find that that's very normal with hand-made lye-based soap- most likely due to the naturally occurring glycerin content. I don't even notice it anymore myself.

IrishLass :)

Back