Stearic Acid Spots

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdignazio

Reaction score
Hi all! I've made maybe 10 - 12 batches and just now I got stearic spotting in my loaf from last night. I tried a new recipe with aloe juice and palm oil (first time using palm oil). I melted Brambleberry's 7lb bag and shook it up very carefully, poured it into mix of oils right away so it wouldn't settle. I soaped at about 90 for both lye and oils... I wouldn't have thought that was too cold. Fragrance oil is clarity from Brambleberry and is reported to have no issues.... I added salt and a bit of powdered sugar (.5t ppo and 1t ppo respectively) to the lye and aloe juice.... 2t clay to the oil prior to mixing. The superfat is 5% and a little of mango butter was left soft and unmelted to make it be the designated superfat. I believe I learned that through Soaping101. CPOP'ed all wrapped with towels and plastic wrap on top.

Anyways... all this to say that I don't want to even give it away with this much spotting.... If I rebatch do I lose the fragrance and will it rectify the spotting? Thanks!

1599842891096.png

A picture would help to see exactly what is going one. Did you dissolve the salt and sugar before adding they lye? Also, saving an oil till the end as a superfat is useless. Just put all your oils and butters together. The lye is still active and will take whatever it wants. There is no way to select your SF in CP soap. HP yes, you can for the most part. Adding your Mango may be the problem, you state you left it unmelted but soft? I've never seen soft Mango butter. That could be part of your issue. I've soaped with Palm at 90 degrees with no issue, though I don't take temperature anymore, my oils are warm to the touch only. It may just be chunks of Mango butter you're seeing.

I don't know about scent retention in CP soaps but when I rebatch my HP soaps I lose most of the EO scents. Don't know about FOs sorry.

Latest posts

Back