Are these stearic spots?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

talewi

Reaction score
I made this soap three days ago. I soaped closer to room temp (my lye was already cooled and I don't feel comfortable trying to reheat it) but the oils and lye were close in temp. It seemed to take a very long time to come to trace and is still very soft. I did not force it to gel. When I cut it, I noticed these spots. Are they just stearic spots from the butters or are they something bad like lye pockets? The lye was fully dissolved when I poured it into the oils.

Recipe:
Olive Oil 58.93%
Coconut Oil 25%
Mango Butter 5.36%
Shea Butter 5.36%
Coco Butter 5.36%

Additives: Honey Powder (0.11 oz per lb of soap)
Fragrance: Oatmeal and Honey 660 from WSP (6% vanilla content)

Thanks for your help!

1681157338153.png
1681157298454.png

Sorry, it has been something of a week for me! There was no liquid oozing from the pockets when I cut it. I also poked a few of the bigger white spots a little bit ago and it caved in so I'm thinking it's the air pockets as well. Just in case, though, here's the recipe I used:

10.64 oz distilled water
3.90 oz lye
16.5 oz olive oil
7 oz coconut oil
1.5 oz mango butter
1.5 oz shea butter
1.5 oz coco butter
1.5 oz honey powder
.96 oz FO

Not sure if that's a typo for the amount of honey powder (the amount in your original post makes more sense) but if not, that's a lot. I still say air pockets. It may have overheated a bit but that alone won't hurt anything.

It's not a typo, I just can't do math apparently. 🤦‍♀️ I've been using a small tester bar and it seems to be okay so I'm going to declare air pockets. Thank you so much for the help!

Back