Stearic Spots in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello, I am a new soaper. I have been soaping since March of this year. I am trying to get rid of stearic spots. I made a test batch where I melted the oils up to 170 degrees Fahrenheit and put a lid on it but when I cut the soap there were still stearic spots.

hard oils used are :
palm
coconut
shea

I did add a teaspoon of coconut milk powder Idk if that makes a difference.

Any and every feedback I’d well appreciated

Hi! Could you post a photo of the soaps please?

The spots might be stearic, but they could also be the coconut milk powder (if it was not re-hydrated before including in the oils, it may be visible in the finished soap). If the oils were completely clear and your lye solution was still warm when you added it, milk powder spots could be the issue.

A photo will help the wonderful folk here see what you are describing 🥰

Hello, I have attached a photo for you. Also I didn’t use much coconut milk so I am not sure what it is.

thank you for responding.

Hi! Could you post a photo of the soaps please?

The spots might be stearic, but they could also be the coconut milk powder (if it was not re-hydrated before including in the oils, it may be visible in the finished soap). If the oils were completely clear and your lye solution was still warm when you added it, milk powder spots could be the issue.

A photo will help the wonderful folk here see what you are describing 🥰
Hello, I have attached a photo for you. Also I didn’t use much coconut milk so I am not sure what it is.

thank you for responding.

Attachments

• 8AD49443-5021-4BF0-BCD8-0B62BE3BB5ED.jpeg
    8AD49443-5021-4BF0-BCD8-0B62BE3BB5ED.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
They don't look like classic stearic spots to me - the centre is very white and there's some "flaring" around them.
If you had used titanium dioxide, I would have thought it was that.
There are also a few bubbles, which come up white on the edges when they are cut, but those don't have the white centre like most of the spots.

While I'm not an expert (on either stearic spots or coconut milk powder), I would guess that it was the powder and some air bubbles that are causing your spots.

So my suggest would be to re-hydrate the coconut milk powder before you add it to your oils, "burp" your stick blender when you first insert it into your batter (to remove trapped air) and ensure that your oils are clear and your lye is warm when you put them together. :thumbs:

They don't look like classic stearic spots to me - the centre is very white and there's some "flaring" around them.
If you had used titanium dioxide, I would have thought it was that.
There are also a few bubbles, which come up white on the edges when they are cut, but those don't have the white centre like most of the spots.

While I'm not an expert (on either stearic spots or coconut milk powder), I would guess that it was the powder and some air bubbles that are causing your spots.

So my suggest would be to re-hydrate the coconut milk powder before you add it to your oils, "burp" your stick blender when you first insert it into your batter (to remove trapped air) and ensure that your oils are clear and your lye is warm when you put them together. :thumbs:
Thank you so much for the advice. I will try again without the coconut milk powder and see if it changes

If you can stick a pin into one of the spots and there’s a tiny cavity, it’s an air bubble. If you have a planer and plane the surface, tiny air bubbles will leave tiny holes while stearic spots will still show as white spots.

You've got really nice looking soap there! Truly. What is it scented with? Having said that, I know how it feels to get a different result than you intended. My first guess was specks of titanium dioxide because the spots are small. I've been on a roll with lots o' stearic spots (3 batches with stearic spots!) and yours don't look like mine.

Burping your blender means immerse it fully into your batter and tap it on the bottom of the pot several times until no more air bubbles come to the surface.

I love the soap! My first though was Titanium Dioxide as that happens to me. Little flecks as it’s hard to immerse sometimes, even with doing it ahead of time. I’ve never heard of Stearic spots so now I need to investigate that!

Thank you everyone. It was a test batch so I used a random FO from natures Garden called "peace". I did not use any TD so I am not sure what could be caused the spots in my soap. I do burp my blender before blending.

Back