Stearic Acid & Palm Kernel Oil Flakes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapSap

Reaction score
I have experimented with using Stearic Acid and Palm Kernel Oil Flakes. Both require a little more heat to melt, especially SA. They also cause a fast a trace some of the time. When I mix them with my other oils and then combine the lye solution to the oils, is it best to combine at lower temperatures or higher temperatures as am attempt to slow down the trace a little. I don't know witch way might be better when using one or both of these very hard oils.

I regularly use pko flakes in my cp soap. I soap anywhere fron 80 to 110 with little problems with fast trace. The stearic acid is likely causing the problem. If you want to use stearic acid you might want to try hp.

You might try using sodium lactate instead of stearic acid. You can add the sodium lactate to your lye water as it is a liquid. Don't go above 3% when using SL.

I regularly use pko flakes in my cp soap. I soap anywhere fron 80 to 110 with little problems with fast trace. The stearic acid is likely causing the problem. If you want to use stearic acid you might want to try hp.

I guess this brings up another question. How does one Master batch the oils. This sounds like it would be a great time saver when repeating the same formulas. Can you tell me how you do this exactly?

I always get a quick, pseudo trace when using hydrogenated PKO flakes if I soap too cool with it in my formulas. As long as my temps are at least 110F/43C, it behaves itself and my batter stays fluid.

IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back