Starting to use FOs

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

true blue

Reaction score
Since I started soaping (somewhere about 15 yrs ago) I've always used essential oils only. Guess I'm ready to branch out into some fragrance oils ... but I really don't know where to start! My idea is to probably, mostly, use the fragrance oils to make blends with essential oils. I realize they can bring notes that essential oils can't provide (ozone, berry, some florals, musk, amber, etc.). I'm not saying I'd never use a FO straight up, but don't know that I'd want to go there right off.

I do HP, adding scents after the cook, so I don't believe I'll need to worry about CP performance issues (correct me if I'm wrong). Meaning I'm mostly interested in scent quality and duration. Speaking of which, kudos to math ace's "HELP! Need a fragrance suggestions for CP soap" thread in the duration regard!

After reading some recent threads on FOs, I placed sample orders with Aztec and Nurture, but because I do primarily use essential oils, I was hoping someone would have suggestions for good/bad FOs from New Directions Aromatics and/or Camden Grey. Unfortunately, neither company made an appearance in math ace's thread.

So, specifically, primarily from these 4 companies, although I'm also considering Nature's Garden - I love their line-up ... which FO's do YOU think are good/better/best for blending? Which FO's do YOU think are downright yuck/give you a headache/more obviously synthetic smelling (that type of thing)? Which do you find your customers like?

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with Lush, B&BW, or other companies' popular scents, so when I read a description and it says it's a dupe of this or that, or smells like so & so's particular scent - that means nothing to me. Another reason I'm asking you guys these things!

Back