St. John's Wort infused in Almond

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lenimae

Reaction score
Good evening everyone!

So, I was browsing my local Nutter's & happened to spot this oil. A 500ml of St. John's Wort infused in Almond--on sale for $9.99 regular $28.99. So I grabbed it! I'm wondering if this would be a good one to use in a cp soap recipe?? If it is...

#1. Can anyone tell me how to incorporate it? Like, would I just use in place of Almond Oil in a recipe? (I know...pls excuse my inexperience. I'm probably asking an extremely retarded question here...:oops:)

#2. What "type" of soap would it be good for? (oh gosh, the questions just keep getting stupider don't they! Lol) :shifty:

#3. What else would compliment it?

I hope these questions don't make me sound too ridiculous!! It's just that I have no clue as too how much St. John's Wort:Almond is in this oil. The only thing that is on the bottle is the label & amount, exactly how I worded it. St. John's Wort infused in Almond :eh:

Any info/suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
Is your oil yellow or red - or neither? Was it in the cooking section or the pharmacy of the store you bought it in?
St. John's Wort is used in creams and ointments for minor wounds and burns and to relieve muscle pain, but I'm not sure how effective it would be in soap.
It is used traditionally to treat minor depression as well as other issues, however, it can interact with prescription medications, and some people are very sensitive to it. For example, it causes sleep disturbances and nightmares for my sister.
I would use it in a salve or balm, but if you wanna use it in soap, try 10-15% of your total recipe.
What do you mean "complimentary"? As in scent or purpose?

We (my husband and I) made salve last summer with Sweet Almond Oil infused with Saint Johns Wort flowers (also had plaintain, yarrow and comfrey. We took fresh flowers and filled up a big mason jar with them and then covered them with oil. We left them sit in the jar for about 2 weeks, shaking them every day or so. After this time, we strained them and used the oil to make the salve (along with 1pt beeswax and 1pt coco butter). The salve has been great for burns, bruises and rashes.

My results are anecdotal of course. I'm definitely a "show me it works" kind of person and was pretty skeptical about the salve initially. My husband took a native uses of herbs class in college and got the recipe from the instructor (the St. Johns wort oil was our addition, I feel so proud LOL). So shortly after we made the oil I burned my thumb at work. I mean REALLY burned it. The skin looked like a pork rind :shock: I thought it would take a month or more to completely heal (I've burned myself this badly in the lab before) but I used the salve and the burn was almost completely gone after 1.5 weeks. I'm definitely impressed and now I keep a little jar in the first aid kit at the lab!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back